Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Coopersdad: Supurb Cruise on a beautiful ship

Coopersdad
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Queen Elizabeth Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

Supurb Cruise on a beautiful ship

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

My partner and I just got back from a 14 night cruise of the Baltic on the Queen Elizabeth and It was the trip of a lifetime. From the moment we boarded, I knew this was going to be a special experience. On the Queen Elizabeth, you are made to feel most welcome, and more important, respected. From the cabin stewards to the restaurant staff to the bartenders, you are made to feel welcome and pampered. On other cruises, that feeling hasn't always been there. On Cunard, you are treated to the little things that really make a difference in a vacation. Here's a good example, one of the days happened to coincide with my partner's birthday, so I booked a dinner in the Veranda Grill. We sat down and had an absolutely fantastic meal. After finishing up we asked for the check, only to be told that our dinner was comped! I can't imagine this happening on any other cruise line. I'm sure it doesn't happen often on Cunard either, but what a nice birthday surprise!

Before going on this More trip I spent time reading all the reviews of the ship, and yes, everyone has a different experience. But I can say without doubt that I will definitely travel on this ship again sometime in the future. With that being said, there are one or two things that I would hope to see changed. Namely the entertainment. Cunard and this ship in general caters to a passenger age group to be in their 50"s to 70's. For some reason they think that people in our age group (I'm 53) are turned on by really boring and nonsensical stage productions and performers who think we want to hear them sing music from the nineteen twenties. It's like they've never heard of an invention called an electric guitar. The banality of the entertainment on board became a running joke amongst our dinner companions every night.

The other thing that I might add that got on my nerves a bit was the inexperience of the tour guides and bus drivers in the port stops. Of course I know these people are only contracted out by the company, but Cunard needs to screen them more carefully to make sure they get knowledgeable and pleasant guides for all of their tours, especially considering the high cost of the excursions. In the end, these are small complaints that shouldn't stop anyone from boarding this ship for an extraordinary cruise experience. Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Balcony Deck 8 8098

Nice cabin and balcony, Deck 8 midships is the place to be. Minimal noise from upstairs, centrally located, Complaints about bathrooms on Vista class ships are accurate, they are far too small. but remember,you arent taking a cruise to spend your time in a bathroom. One question that I should have asked is why does the Queen Elizabeth vibrate so much? is there a problem with the Azipod's that needs to be addressed?

Oh man, Copenhagen is a fantastic city, not too big,not too small, I recommend paying a visit to the area known as Cristainia,for a very "Amsterdam" like experience (if you get my drift) and walking around enjoying nature for an afternoon. Note, watch your wallet's.. I spotted a pick-pocket gang there,but hey, that can happen in any city on earth.

Rainy sunday morning. Everything was closed. In reality we were only there to pick of German passenger's. Pretty much a throwaway port on this day.

Read 27 Hamburg Reviews

Back to Hamburg to drop of the German passengers. This time it was during the week and the weather was perfect. Hamburg showed itself to be a great lively city that was well worth a second look.
Read 27 Hamburg Reviews

Nice place that Helsinky is, clean, modern, safe, a bit up-tight and very, very expensive. Where else will you get to eat Reindeer Sausage?

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

Wow, Russia..As a child of the cold war it boggled my mind that I would actually ever get to stand in front of the Hermitage. But here we were, and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Well except for the heat! I could go on and on about the beauty of the palaces and bore you to death with the details. I'll save that for my friends and family. All I will say is that I won't soon forget it all.

Stockholm was a very clean, pleasant, sterile city. very expensive and really didn't hold my interest for very long at all. I would rather have gone to another city that had more joie-de-vivre. But getting there is beautiful. You slowly pass through an archipelago of islands that has fantastic scenery and calm perfect waters.

Previous to this trip I knew nothing of the city of Tallinn. What a great surprise this beautiful little town was. It's friendly people and historically interesting sites made for a great day.

Read 351 Tallinn Reviews