Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by stinadds

Member Name: stinadds
Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Baltic Capitals Cruise
My husband, mother and her boyfriend and I all took this cruise. We flew into Copenhagen and took the ship transfer from the airport to the ship. Everything went very smooth and getting onto the ship was the quickest and easiest of any cruise i've ever been on and my mom agreed with that one as well. Overall the first day was quite the waste and a blur, due to 10+ hours of travel the jet lag really got to us. I'd recommend flying in a day early if you are coming from a long distance so you can enjoy your first night on the ship.

We ate dinner mostly in the 7 Seas dining room. We found that the service there was better than the 4 Seasons which we tried twice. The 7 Seas is also more formal which fits us a bit better than the casual. The food was ok, nothing special. I get better food at my favorite resturaunts at home and found myself comparing to the quality I get at home and it was sub par in comparison. We also found we weren't that fond of freestyle dining. It was our first time on NCL and are used to the same waiter every evening. We ended up finding a waiter that went above and beyond the others we had and ended up requesting him for the last 4 nights. That made us much happier to have someone know what we liked to drink etc... and he was the only one that explained the food on the menu to us and recommended certain dishes. I was dissapointed there was no crab or filet on the menu. We had lobster one night but it was only half of a tail and a bit overcooked (rubbery). We chose NCL for the itenerary and price, not for freestyle. Most of the resturaunts had a cover charge so there wasn't much selection for free dining, it seemed in order to get the quality food you had to pay which we didn't like.

We ate one dinner at Moderno Brazillian steakhouse, it was by far the best meal we had on the ship. There was an extra $20 charge per person, but it was worth it. The meat was excellent and they fed you until you were ready to burst. The only place on the ship we got good cuts of meat. The steaks on the dining room menu were worse cuts than sirloin. Very thin.

We ate breakfast at Moderno because we found it was less busy and the waffle line was short. Overall the buffet was horrible, the food was cold on many occasions. Such as the burgers were pre cooked and put into a pan. And when you order at the sports bar and such they just pull the food off the buffet to give to you. The hot dog buns were almost stale and too thick, we were not impressed at all with the buffet. They did however have a good pasta station and in the afternoon a crepe station which I found to be the only edible food on the buffet. Most lunches we ate in port and really enjoyed the local food, more on that in the port reviews.

We had a room on the 5th deck oceanview. It was on the smaller side as compared to a Carnival room but larger than the room we had on Princess. There wasn't much closet space, but we managed to squeeze everything in. The small couch was quite hard and we never sat on it. The bathroom is to be expected on a cruise ship, nice and small. Being bed snobs we packed our own memory foam and pillows, which made the bed tolerable. Without it, only those who like firm beds would be happpy.

We went to all the evening shows and the entertainment was excellent. The on ship singers and dancers were top notch (and being a musician myself, I am quite picky). The entertainment they brought on was hit and miss. The group 4Ever was excellent, went to both of their shows, amazing voices! I even got their CD which I hardly ever do. There was also a magician which was quite amature and we did not enjoy at all. I had more fun figuring out how he did his tricks than actually watching him. They also had a trapeze, circus type act duo, I just peeked my head in but was not impressed. Having just seen Cirque Du Soleil and being a big fan, its hard to be impressed by anything else. Overall the entertianment on this ship was far superior than any other cruise i've been on, big kudos to them for that.

I did not use the casino, spa, pools or fitness center, so I can not comment on those services. At the end of the cruise we stayed in Copenhagen for an extra 2 nights so more on that in the port review. Getting off the ship was just as easy as getting on and there was a small wait for a taxi to our hotel. We were able to get a mini van to fit the 4 of us and our pile of luggage just fine.

Publication Date: 07/18/11