Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by lasportsnut: Inconsistent Voyager

Inconsistent Voyager

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Arriving at Embarkation was easy but the walking starts immediately when you take the transfers. Your luggage is dumped at a warehouse and you proceed a nice walk to the check-in area. My check-in was a bit of a problem as my Sea Card was not on file and I waited over 30 minutes to get it before boarding. As noted by another passenger the rooms were not available until 1 or later and not knowing this I sought out the Hotel Manager to complain. Mr. Taggert, a Canadian who is a Saints Fan (I am from New Orleans), was extremely hospitable and offered me the opportunity to leave my carry-on luggage in his office while I familiarized myself with the ship and the Windjammer Restaurant. My experiences in the Windjammer were excellent. My experience in the dining room however were far from good starting on night one. Our Asst. waiter filled our water glasses and gave us bread and then disappeared. I talked to the Head Waiter and the following night the Asst. was not working our table. More Scheduled for a 10 top I was disappointed when I sat at a 6top with only one couple and three empty chairs. The third night out our Asst. Waiter returns along with three new people. I asked the Head waiter why the Asst. was sent back and he said "He wanted a second chance." I said that was fine but not at our table (the Asst. waiter stayed the rest of the cruise much to my displeasure and caused the original couple at the table to leave and not return the rest of the trip).

I had a room overlooking the Promenade and loved it. No noise at all (I was in the noise when it happened so it didn't bother my sleep). The room was large and the bed very comfortable and housekeeping outstanding.

I took the shuttles into Dubrovnik(via a tour)and Ravenna. My concern was that anyone from the boat could get on the shuttle going back free as tickets were not checked.

Koper, Ravenna and Bari are nice quaint old towns where you can get great pictures but little else. History is their main existence- beautiful cathedrals, basilicas and many statues. Venice was beautiful and I was told to wear a hat b/c of pigeon droppings. Fortunately when I was in the square many tourists were keeping the pigeons on the ground as they fed them so there were no pigeon bombs to avoid. Walking around Venice was wonderful, hot and at times confusing. I saw what I wanted to see and returned to the ship really happy but somewhat tired.

As a Past Passenger I was afforded the opportunity to relax before dinner in a special lounge that had excellent service. But no one told me where it was and it took me 2 days to find it (Cloud Nine on Deck 14).

The Ice Show was the best entertainment on the boat. All major productions were lip synced. The Beatles presentation was so loud people left well before it was done. I felt the Cruise Director, Mercedes from Argentina, was not good. The Lounge entertainment was excellent especially the gentlemen in the Schooner Bar and the Pig and Whistle Pub. The Promenade shows were good but the crowds were very selfish about allowing everyone to see comfortably. There was a group of children (about 8 of them) who ran uncontrolled throughout all parades colliding with people watching the parades.

On the last night when people wanted and needed to get boarding passes, confirm reservations etc the computer system went down. But Customer Service allowed the passengers to use a computer at the front Desk to get any passes we needed.

Disembarkation was a piece of cake as it usually is on cruise ships but Marco Polo airport is poorly marked for people checking luggage and getting to the right carrier and their ride home. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 7609

I had a Promenade room overlooking the Promenade. It was like heaven. Big bay-window with a sofa bench so I could sit at the window and look out over the happenings on the Promenade. I had a sofa bed and the usual twins put together to form a queen. Closet space was adequate for me but might have been tight if I had a companion traveling w/m. Drawer space was so tiny I left underwear, T shirts, shorts and sox in my bag until I used them. The bathroom was adequate and very clean. The standard desk was adequate for me. There was a small table in front of sofa bed that probably didn't need to be there as it took up valuable space. I was in Rm. 7609. Oh the noise level in the room- Well can't tell you cause I was down on the Promenade making the noise when it was happening. Not much noise at 2 am on the Promenade

(5.5)
Venice and Dubrovnik made the trip. The other three ports, though historically beautiful, were questionable to say the least in importance-Koper, Ravenna and Bari.

Dubrovnik was outstanding and the Wall walk was extremely beautiful if not exhausting from stair climbing and inclines both up and down. I felt I was in good shape but the walk kicked my butt. Fortunately others grew tired and the guide stopped so we could rest occasionally.

Venice was hot but beautiful. Didn't get hustled by vendors or panhandled by locals. The pigeons, though numerous, were grounded by a large group of visitors who were feeding them thus the "Pigeon Bombs" were not dropped on unsuspecting visitors. St. Mark's was beautiful inside and out. The wait at noon was not bad except it was in the sun. Men and women who did not abide by the directions not to wear sleeveless tops, shorts or other non acceptable wear for a church we "rented" a shoal to wear to cover themselves up appropriately.

Winding your way thru alleyways could get confusing but signs on buildings lead you to the Rialto Bridge and back to St. Mark's. Water Taxis were great and you could board w/o a ticket as no one checked you when you boarded.

Read 514 Venice Reviews