Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by smudge16ch: A Fabulous ship, A pity about the entertainment

smudge16ch
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

A Fabulous ship, A pity about the entertainment

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

We have sailed Solstice class before on both the Solstice and the Equinox.

The itinerary was the usual Western Med' but despite our numerous visits we had never been to Gibraltar or Cadiz. I am sure some people will tell me that they love Gibraltar and so I apologise to those but frankly I won't be in a rush to go back. Cadiz I researched on the internet before the cruise and discovered that there was nothing there. That is not true. We enjoyed a lovely walk around the town, through a beautiful park and explored the cathedral and a large market complex. It reminded us very much of Cartagena in Columbia.

Back to the ship....

The food was very good as it always has been. You can always find a reasonably priced bottle of wine. The waiter service is always second to none and we have never had a bad experience at getting a table for two if there are just the two of us. The ships are beautiful, the accommodation and the beds are very comfortable. You might get the More impression that I think these ships are great........... and you would be right.

The reason I was tempted to write a review was because I think the cruise companies need a wake up call.

The entertainment has slowly deteriorated over the last few years. The 'production shows' are basically the same theme with a different set and a new title. Do they not realise that we who cruise regularly have seen most of them before. Surely they pay enough money to have some innovation from their producers. Their singers do not have strong enough voices. There are exceptions but the standard is low. The dancers are good and work very hard. The 'cut backs' on spending are reflected in the numbers of dancers. I remember shows where the finale was truly spectacular with all the dancers and singers but there were at least fifteen or twenty of them altogether.

The supporting entertainment is a bit of pot luck. Sometimes you are fortunate and you will have a couple of good singers and all round entertainers. At another time you will end up with an English comedian who the Americans do not find even slightly amusing or, worse still, an American comedian who thinks he can 'span the Atlantic' and successfully offends all the English.

I find it very frustrating. I have written to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, P & O and Princess but to no avail. I guess we will just have to grin and bear it. Unless, of course, you have other ideas? ! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 7155

7153 and 7155 Close to the elevators so not too far to walk! Very well laid out. Wardrobe space and cupboards are bit limited but we managed and we had clothes for eight weeks! The bathrooms on the Solitice Class are very good, probably the best we've experienced. Beds are comfortable. Balcony is exactly as you would expect with good quality furniture. TV flat screen good selection of movies and interactive to view your account.