Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by agrigar: NCL Spirit - Disappointed

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL Spirit - Disappointed

Sail Date: July 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

Embarkation process was excellent. We arrived at the port around 11:00, parked & we were checked in quickly. We did have to wait a little while to be allowed to board but that still went smoothly. Once we were on the ship, our cabin was ready so we put our carry on in the room & went to the buffet. The food on the buffet was really good & flavorful.

We explored the ship a little & went back to the room. Our luggage was there, we unpacked & went up to the pool deck whre we hung out until muster then we went back to the pool deck for sail away.

Garden or Windows dinning rooms. I didn't find the food to be horrible but I did find it to be not as good as I've experienced on my previous 8 cruises. The service in The Garden was not up to par th first night. The wait staff changed on us during the middle of dinner & forgot about us. We had to flag down waiters for refills on water or tea. Decided it was just a glitch the first night so we went back More the 2nd, where the service was better it was not great. Also, I'm not a demanding person, I just like to be out of dinner sooner than 2 1/2 hours.

We tried Windows on the 3rd night and found the service to be excellent in there. The food is the same in both dinning rooms but the service was much better in Windows. The food, we all found to be ok. It wasn't bad but it wasn't horrible either. I've experienced better & worse food on all the cruises I've been on. I didn't find the dessert choice to be as selective as the other cruises. I did have to make sure I asked for coffee to be brought to me before my desert. If not, they would not bring the coffee until the dessert was just about finished. I also understand they are trying to please taste buds of many passengers & not just me.

The ship was in need of going to dry dock, but this is just my opinion. The adult pool has signs that say "adults only but don't worry kids, there is another pool just for you" Not once did I see them asking parents to remove their children. The debth of this pool was 5 1/2 feet to 7 1/2 feet. Any time I got in the pool, I was kicked by kids swimmig but I neve asked the staff to remove them so I don't know if they would have. I just sucked it up & moved on.

The photo specials were better than I've experienced on other ships. They offer buy 5 get 1 free. On Thursday, they also offered a 20% discount on all photo purchases.

The entertainment, I did not find to be outstanding as I'd read about. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best I've seen either.

Disembarkation process was very smooth & quick getting through customs.

Where I love cruising, I won't say I will not sail on NCL again but I will choose another line unless the price is a huge difference. I am not a big Carnival fan but I'd choose Carnival over NCL in a heartbeat based on this experience. I have to say that RCL is still my line of choice. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit 5087

The beds in the stateroom were very comfortable and there was plenty of storage space. I do not like that I could not use my hair dryer in the room. I use the cool shot on mine when styling my hair but you could not plug a hair dryer in or it would blow a fuse so I was stuck using the one in the bathroom that they provided. The retractable string for hanging wet items on in our stateroom was missing. I asked the cabin attendant about it which he indicated it would be replaced. This was on the second day. By the last night of the cruise, it was still not replaced

I was disappointed in Belize. We did the cave tubing there which was amazing but the port was not what I had hoped to see. Cave tubing was booked through a local company instead of through the ship. It cost us 50 per person vs 109 through the ship.

In Costa Maya, we took a cab to the the beach for $2 a person & had drinks at one of the bars on the beach there.

In Cozumel, we took a cab over to Paradise Beach and had a great time there. I had the beef fajita nachos, the margaritas were good too.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

We love Roatan but and we used Victor Bodden to tour the island and did the zipline there. The cost for the driver, zipline & monkeys was 70 per person. Much cheaper than anything the ship was offering. We had Tex for our driver & he was wonderful.

Read 1661 Roatan Reviews