Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by agrigar

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: IE

NCL Spirit - Disappointed
Embarkation process was excellent. We arrived at the port around 11:00, parked & we were checked in quickly. We did have to wait a little while to be allowed to board but that still went smoothly. Once we were on the ship, our cabin was ready so we put our carry on in the room & went to the buffet. The food on the buffet was really good & flavorful.

We explored the ship a little & went back to the room. Our luggage was there, we unpacked & went up to the pool deck whre we hung out until muster then we went back to the pool deck for sail away.

Garden or Windows dinning rooms. I didn't find the food to be horrible but I did find it to be not as good as I've experienced on my previous 8 cruises. The service in The Garden was not up to par th first night. The wait staff changed on us during the middle of dinner & forgot about us. We had to flag down waiters for refills on water or tea. Decided it was just a glitch the first night so we went back the 2nd, where the service was better it was not great. Also, I'm not a demanding person, I just like to be out of dinner sooner than 2 1/2 hours.

We tried Windows on the 3rd night and found the service to be excellent in there. The food is the same in both dinning rooms but the service was much better in Windows. The food, we all found to be ok. It wasn't bad but it wasn't horrible either. I've experienced better & worse food on all the cruises I've been on. I didn't find the dessert choice to be as selective as the other cruises. I did have to make sure I asked for coffee to be brought to me before my desert. If not, they would not bring the coffee until the dessert was just about finished. I also understand they are trying to please taste buds of many passengers & not just me.

The ship was in need of going to dry dock, but this is just my opinion. The adult pool has signs that say "adults only but don't worry kids, there is another pool just for you" Not once did I see them asking parents to remove their children. The debth of this pool was 5 1/2 feet to 7 1/2 feet. Any time I got in the pool, I was kicked by kids swimmig but I neve asked the staff to remove them so I don't know if they would have. I just sucked it up & moved on.

The photo specials were better than I've experienced on other ships. They offer buy 5 get 1 free. On Thursday, they also offered a 20% discount on all photo purchases.

The entertainment, I did not find to be outstanding as I'd read about. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best I've seen either.

Disembarkation process was very smooth & quick getting through customs.

Where I love cruising, I won't say I will not sail on NCL again but I will choose another line unless the price is a huge difference. I am not a big Carnival fan but I'd choose Carnival over NCL in a heartbeat based on this experience. I have to say that RCL is still my line of choice.

Publication Date: 07/16/11