Carnival Magic Cruise Review by melody23402: Carnival Magic

Carnival Magic

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

First off let me start by saying the ship was beautiful. At first I was going to say I wasn't happy with the Lido deck food but after realizing that it would be a total waste to have all the buffet's going when everyone was off doing excursions I reconsidered. The food on the Lido for lunch time was always good with a decent selection. The only complaint was coming back from Rome... almost everyone on the ship did Rome on the 2nd day and all the people seemed to return at the same time and then deciding to eat on the Lido deck since they missed their main dining room seating time. Well that day the lines were awful since only 2 stations were open. It took a really long time to get your food, seemed that maybe they should have thought ahead and had more stations open for that day. The rest of the time however it was excellent. I am going to say that the quality of the food in the Main dining room has changed since I first started cruising Carnival. The wonderful quality of food that More you get in the Steak house was the exact quality of food you got way back when I sailed on the Jubilee. Now it seems that the quality came down a bit and you have to pay for the better quality. Only my observation though. If it was my first time cruising I would have thought it was wonderful. What happened to the Midnight buffet and meeting the captain on elegant night? There use to be a meeting the captain night and on the elegant night was the midnight buffet with ice sculptures and bread's in all shapes and sizes and decadent desserts... that didn't happen this time. Where did it go? I wonder. Our room and room steward were awesome it was like magic if we left the room for even a short time and came back it was made up and neat ready for us. This man seemed better than any I have ever had.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on your shore excursions. Everything is so expensive I suppose it's just a tourist thing though. I mean everything is more than double what you would pay in the states. Cab drivers are the worst. Get your price before you get in the cab it can be a mind blowing experience if you don't. Gypsies are everywhere but we really didn't have a problem with pickpockets or the gypsies. All our excursions except for Monaco was booked with Carnival. I would suggest Carnival so you are assured a ride back to the ship with no problems.

The shows were great. The uncensored comedians at the comedy club at night were hilarious. It was an all around good experience. I'm happy Carnival has a ship in the Mediterranean now. Thanks Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Upper 6272

We had a balcony room and it was great, except for the adjoining room. If you are not cruising with family make sure you don't have an adjoining room. We had 3 women staying in the room next to us and we could hear every word they said till all hours of the night. It lead to 4 nights of waking to screams of laughter at all hours of the night. We finally had to knock on their door and ask them to please keep it down for the rest of the cruise. The folks on the other side we didn't even know they were there. So it would be in anyone's best interest to make sure they don't have an adjoining room.

The excursions were amazing. We hopped on an open tour bus for 17 euro pp to see Monaco, not much going on there and it was 2 days after a Royal Wedding so it was really beautiful. Short but sweet tour.

Read 192 Monaco Reviews

I will warn anyone who is going to climb Mt. Vesuvius to bring sneakers or hiking boots. I had no idea it would be so hard. I only had sandals with me so needless to say it was a little harder for me than others. My husband had sneakers on and said he would have preferred to have hiking boots on as well. It was amazing to do this excursion, you could see the steam coming out of the side of the volcano, the guides were so informative and the scenery breath taking. The cameo factory was a little disappointing but it was ok. Pompei... wow. Be prepared to sweat for it is very, very hot there. Well worth the sweat though. So much to see.

Read 653 Naples Reviews

Rome... what can I say. The Colosseum was spectacular, the forum, The Piazza Venezia, the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain took my breath away. All was worth the 10 hours on my feet. Bring your coins to throw in the fountain. You can't fit the Vatican with the Basilica and everything else in the same day. You would need a 2nd day to see the Vatican.

We saw the town of Taormina and the Greek Theater when we went to Sicily the town is beautiful and the Greek Theater is worth the trip.