Carnival Magic Cruise Review by melody23402

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8B
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Rates 5+

Carnival Magic
First off let me start by saying the ship was beautiful. At first I was going to say I wasn't happy with the Lido deck food but after realizing that it would be a total waste to have all the buffet's going when everyone was off doing excursions I reconsidered. The food on the Lido for lunch time was always good with a decent selection. The only complaint was coming back from Rome... almost everyone on the ship did Rome on the 2nd day and all the people seemed to return at the same time and then deciding to eat on the Lido deck since they missed their main dining room seating time. Well that day the lines were awful since only 2 stations were open. It took a really long time to get your food, seemed that maybe they should have thought ahead and had more stations open for that day. The rest of the time however it was excellent. I am going to say that the quality of the food in the Main dining room has changed since I first started cruising Carnival. The wonderful quality of food that you get in the Steak house was the exact quality of food you got way back when I sailed on the Jubilee. Now it seems that the quality came down a bit and you have to pay for the better quality. Only my observation though. If it was my first time cruising I would have thought it was wonderful. What happened to the Midnight buffet and meeting the captain on elegant night? There use to be a meeting the captain night and on the elegant night was the midnight buffet with ice sculptures and bread's in all shapes and sizes and decadent desserts... that didn't happen this time. Where did it go? I wonder. Our room and room steward were awesome it was like magic if we left the room for even a short time and came back it was made up and neat ready for us. This man seemed better than any I have ever had.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on your shore excursions. Everything is so expensive I suppose it's just a tourist thing though. I mean everything is more than double what you would pay in the states. Cab drivers are the worst. Get your price before you get in the cab it can be a mind blowing experience if you don't. Gypsies are everywhere but we really didn't have a problem with pickpockets or the gypsies. All our excursions except for Monaco was booked with Carnival. I would suggest Carnival so you are assured a ride back to the ship with no problems.

The shows were great. The uncensored comedians at the comedy club at night were hilarious. It was an all around good experience. I'm happy Carnival has a ship in the Mediterranean now. Thanks Carnival.

Publication Date: 07/16/11