Sun Princess Cruise Review by bayside04: Sun Princess India to South Africa

Sun Princess India to South Africa

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Perth (Fremantle)

We found that the 49 day cruise was a pleasant experience. Shortcomings encountered did not really diminish the overall enjoyment. Entertainment was very good, other attractions provided such as bingo, trivia, card playing etc filled out the day well.

Dining facilities were good, food quality, variety and general service was also good, particularly in the main dining room. We took our formal dress (dinner suit/formal gown) this was really not required as the majority did not dress for the formal nights and we tended to feel a little ridiculous. I would suggest that if formal nights are to be held, then one of the dining rooms be allocated to those formally dressed, and the other to those who do not wish to bother. It is a even more difficult when some at your own table do not dress and you have, you tend to feel a little snobbish.Other areas I would comment on are:

(1) Pool; not covered, bad/cold weather chases people inside thus crowds (3/5 rating). (2) Cards; no More allocated space, moving around constantly (1/5 rating). (3) Library, to few books/games/controls (2/5 rating). (4) Internal comfort; seating too limited (more so on cool day), photo area takes up too much potential seating room (3/5 rating). (6) Internet to slow, charging system, by time, encourages this (1/5 rating). (7) Aussie Football; a total, unmitigated disaster, I only went because I was advised footy would be televised, they got it in Hong Kong, but not on the ship, (0/5 rating). News on Ship, The aussie news sheet left a lot to be desired, is that the best that can be done with todays technology, (1/5 rating)Excursions, these were a mixed bag, from conversation many were poor value for money, on one we were on I understand extra buses had been added at the last moment(wild game safari), subsequently during 1 hours plus on the bus, the host said 10 words and made it difficult to ask questions. On top of this the food for lunch was laid outdoors, where the flies got first go and was of poor quality. The ship later had some problems with stomach disorders, I would suggest that this rather hap-hazardly organised excursion lunch could well have added to the medical issues on board;it would be in the interest of both crew and passengers if this type excursion was more closely supervised by shipboard executives. In other words do not let the excursion operators to set the hygiene standards, they will always take the cheapest way out. After all there customers are gone within 24 hours, who is to complain, what can be proven? I do believe the shipboard compliment (crew/passengers) over extends some ports of call tourist resources, so excursions organisers need to be vigilant to ensure the quality of the services purchased is maintained (1/5 rating).

Despite my gripes, I had a good time,I intended this to be constructive comment,I thought overall the ship was well run, the crew worked hard to please, so I guess when you travel you get used to making it work through the odd problem and shortcomings.

(1/5 rating) Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sun Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sun Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck c742

Cabin c741, balcony, was at the rear of the ship. Space not excessive, but adequate, facilities provided (ie., hair dryer, tv, fridge, cupboards) all were adequate, I liked the fact there were enough coat hangers, towels, linen was changed frequently, room service was excellent. The good standard of the cabin added to the enjoyment of a 49 day trip.

Daytripping in any Port of Call because of time issues means it is difficult to be fair, what I missed was probably the best, what I saw was even more likely to be the worst. For example I felt I could have spent more time in Cochin on the other hand island ports of call seldom offered enough of interest. Generally on this trip we toured by taxi, got into the back streets, the tourist traps were not really worth a visit. This really was my conclusion on most of the ports. Where they had city tour buses these tendered to provide the best value, did not restrict what you experienced, but of course you frequently ran out of time.

Read 15 Cochin Reviews