This was our 7th cruise and first one to Alaska. The ship was delayed by a norovirus (?) problem, but their attempts at disinfecting were successful, since we did not experience any problems.
Here are some pluses:
1. more TV stations than normal, but no DVD.
2. Automatic beach towels in rooms
3. Laundry was relatively inexpensive. $4.50 for shirt, $1.00 for underwears.
4. The Naturalist on board, Alan Cortash was excellent but the only real intellectual stimulation.
5. "British Invasion" show above average
6. The "Wheelhouse" bar was comfortable.
Here are the minuses:
1. Their "Anytime dining", where you can arrive anytime and eat with anyone....no.
If you want to just dine with your spouse....forget it. You can not reserve a table for 2.
2. In the Horizon buffet, there are few drink servers, so you have to get you meal, then go back and get a drink (while ur meal gets cold).
3. Beds are smaller than typical...when pushed together, you get a queen, not a king.
4. Room Service is not free as advertised, but $4 for each delivery (except Breakfast)
5. No drinks stocked in rooms, not even soft drinks. You have to call room service.
6. At bars, you have to ask for nuts or snacks.
7. No pizza, burgers or sandwiches at Horizon buffet. There was a limited selection of offerings compared to our other cruises.
8. Fruit bowl in room has to be ordered daily. We got 6 of 10 days.!
9. Only 3 production shows on a 10 day cruise. Couple of comics and a movie in the evening entertainment periods.
10. Shower rack ill designed. The shampoo's fall out all the time!
11. Roughest seas on 7 cruises...Didn't look rough, but people getting seasick. Stabilizers working??
12. Horrible Internet. Intermittent and very slow. Remembers the 80's 56K dialup??
13. Could not print boarding pass before leaving ship. No internet the day before, and not printers turned on the day of departure.
As you can see, there were few pleasant surprises on this ship. It seemed as if a set of corporate accounting suits were looking for was to boast profits by nipping and cutting at the little things. But it all adds up!!
My first boss always said, "It is the sum of the small details that make or break an experience"
Oh, the food was good, the service was ok....Typical...Amusing Cruise director.
Ports were fine. Lots of natural beauty.