Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Pappa Joe

Member Name: Pappa Joe
Cruise Date: July 2011
Cabin Category: CL

Oasis
So what do you like and dislike about Disney World? The same is true about Oasis. Of course everyone loves the productions,shows and events and are pleasantly surprised about the different discoveries of things they didn't expect to see like Central Park, a boardwalk, or a carousel on a ship. On the other hand Oasis has the same draw backs as Disney World. Crowds, lines,mass produced food for 6200 guests everyday, crammed elevators,etc.

I kind of expected all of that knowing the ship was so big. What I didn't expect was the poor service. This crew looked like they were just tired of seeing so many people cruise after cruise. No friendly welcome on boarding, no friendly room attendants and curt service pretty much across the board. I think when you have a ship this big it is hard to staff it with enough customer service people.

I had a loft room (big $$) where I expected top notch service.That I didn't get. I was entitled to the concierge lounge which was staffed with individuals that showed up late and then proceeded to stay on the phone for a half an hour while a long line of customers that had questions/requests formed. Several of us gave up and just walked to the specialty restaurants and made reservations directly.

It's a pity because our party felt the cruise could have been so much more if the staff was pleasant and more trained on customer service. I'll give you an example. At one port one of the two gangway did not work forcing all 6200 passengers to disembark at the same time through one gangway ( design flaw....biggest ship in the world only has two exits ???). Long lines formed and guests waited in very warm conditions for quite some time. OK sometimes these things happen. However when it does the staff should know how to handle it. Why not offer free bottled water for those passengers that had to wait in the heat? Have staff readily available to talk to passengers that had to wait versus loud speaker announcements that said "sorry".

Look, I had a good time on the cruise and I'm glad I got to see the Oasis, but I would never go on it again. What I learned from this cruise is that it's not the size of the ship or the bells and whistles, but FRIENDLY CUSTOMER SERVICE that makes the difference.

Publication Date: 07/10/11