Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by moebruin

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 8K
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 1.0
Shore Excursions 5+

Great Alaska Cruise
Overall, had a great time. I am going to limit my review to items that I didn't find covered when I was looking at other reviews prior to going on this cruise with some general comments:

Going to Alaska: For me this was the first non-warm weather cruise I went on and wasn't sure how that would impact the cruise experience. A couple of negatives (minor to me) but worth noting. If your kids see the 3 story water slide, forget it. Yes it is on the boat but with the weather, it did not operate at all on our cruise. Also because of high wind and its location the Sports Court (including the miniature golf) was closed many days during our cruise. The main pool however had a dome top which made the area very usable all the time and I personally was able to enjoy the outside Jacuzzi's even in the cool weather during the night. There are two indoor Jacuzzi's (one under the dome and one in the health club) if you don't want to deal with the cool weather.

Teen Club: My two boys when they were younger loved our two Disney Cruises however, they never had much of an interest in hanging in the kid club. I started to worry a bit when my oldest kid showed pre-cruise that he wanted to hit the Teen Club and had noticed other reviews mentioning a less children on board then other (non-Alaska cruises). Well at least for the teen-age set there were plenty of teenagers on our cruise and both my boys loved the O2 club. Spending most of the nights at the club until it closed. A number of the teenagers exchanged facebook user names and I believe one of them has set up a group for all of them to be part of so that was a VERY POSITIVE plus for me.

Food: Did not go to the Steak House. I personally considered the food to be standard cruise food. Good with some very good dishes and plenty of it but not sure if not at sea it would have made a favorite restaurant list. I did like a lot how the food was located on the ship with one big restaurant for your restaurant type meals and then a big area on the 9th deck for all your quick food. So if you wanted food you just went to the 9th deck and found what happened to open at that time. No searching around for the snack or buffet area that is open.

Entertainment: Lot of people talked about the two comics on their cruise. We had 4 comics (with the first two switching out with the second two at Juneau). I personally liked 3 of the 4. The stage productions weren't bad although I thought the themes they had chosing Big Band and New Orleans could have been better. One night they had a hypnotist on board and his show was fantastic.

Tracy Arms: Tracy Arms with beautiful. The pre-cruise debate was do you take the boat excursions for the closer view or stay on the ship. We took the late sailing of the boat excursion, I was glad we did. There are two glaciers to see in Tracy Arms and the Cruise Ship itself never got very close to the first and never went to a visible place for the second. The second was the most interesting because that is where we caught the falling ice coming off the glacier into the water. When we were in Tracy Arms the Disney Wonder was also and I was surprised to see that the Wonder came much closer (almost as close as our excursion boat) to the first glacier but it also didn't go to the second glacier. I also got my best view of a whale (a killer whale) on the excursion and you also get close to seals as well.

Room and Service: For a cruise ship the room was spacious with three regular beds (couch is also a bed). Service was very good which I consider cruise normal.

Bottom Line: Loved Cruising Alaska

Publication Date: 07/10/11
Read the Alaska ports review by moebruin
More Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews