Disney Wonder Cruise Review by guitargal168: Disney + Alaska= FABULOUS

Disney + Alaska= FABULOUS

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

As first time cruisers, we went into this with some trepidation but high expectations. I'm happy to say that we have no trepidations anymore AND our expectations were more than met on every level!. I may not have cruise experience, but I am well-traveled. I have to say that on almost every level, the Disney Wonder certainly delivered!

Our 13 yr old daughter had an absolute blast in the Edge. She loved the staff and met many kids her age. There were many activities for all ages and, if nothing else, the gorgeous scenery + a good book was more than enough.

I had read many reviews prior to the cruise and had some concerns regarding the food. I am happy to say that our dining experiences were absolutely wonderful! I think some of the concerns probably apply to the time period after the lunch buffets shut down and before the dinners start. Most of those selections available are a touch less interesting (chicken fingers, pizza, hamburgers) but the sandwich area was quite More tasty. Also, if you are looking for some other choices during that brief time period, than I would highly recommend the room service menu! As for the main meals, the buffets were well-stocked, hot/fresh and had an excellent variety. The rotational dining for dinner was wonderful. It was fun to go to different rooms and have a different menu every evening but also have your wait staff follow you from room to room. We did not go to Palo on this cruise but our food at dinner was outstanding! Great choices and the wait staff was always available for special requests. Speaking of wait staff.....it doesn't get any better than this! Our server, assistant server and head server were absolutely fabulous! We couldn't stop hugging them goodbye! (yep...really!) Our room attendant was also top-notch. Friendly, attentive and always available!

The rooms were spacious and comfortable with lots of room to store our bags (and we brought 3 HUGE suitcases with us). We also really liked the split bathroom feature.

As for the ship itself, it was lovely. There was no sign of excessive wear. You would never guess this was a 12 or 13 year old ship.

We all had a fabulous time and we are looking forward to going to Nova Scotia with the Disney Magic next year! Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Inside Stateroom Deck One

Deluxe inside cabin was very spacious! Good value and we didn't miss the ocean view at all. (especially with so much daylight, it was nice to have a cozy, dark space to sleep!!)

Mendenhall Glacier was great. Very beautiful. The visitor's center was very crowded the day we were there but the scenery outside more than made up for that. We went whale watching afterward and saw many humpback whales. So interesting and, again, wonderful tour guides! I guess we got lucky on our tour because some of the other folks on the ship didn't see as many whales as we did. It was really a lovely day.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Ketchikan wins the prize for the most charming port! Just lovely. Free shuttles to the salmon hatchery, totem poles and Creek st. (+ other places!). We took a float plane to Misty Fjords. It was really neat but the plane ride was really bouncy. If you are prone to motion sickness, I would recommend thinking twice. Having said that...if you can stick it out, it's incredibly worth it to walk out on the pontoons of the plane and have a look around! The waterfalls from up high are just stunning! We all loved Ketchikan. In hindsight, I would have planned the excursion later in the day and spent the earlier part of the afternoon seeing either the totem poles or the salmon hatchery. (they close by 5 and we got there around 5:30 because of our excursion)

Helicopter ride to the dogsled camp was absolutely breathtaking!! This was our biggest splurge and I don't regret 1 penny spent! We also went horseback riding in the Tongass National Forest. Just lovely and the folks running this tour were wonderful! So friendly and informative! (great salmon bake too!!)

Read 645 Skagway Reviews