Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Fighting34th: Nice, but not great

Nice, but not great

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We booked this cruise on our last HA cruise taken in the summer of 2010. At the time, we were told we'd never see a better price. So we booked a balcony cabin for about $3000 each. The least expensive suites were, I believe, around $3700 each. AFTER we were locked in by making our final payment, they lowered the suite price to $3000 and balcony to $1800!!! I called HA. They told me to call my agent. My agent said they'd upgrade us to a suite for $3000. When I pointed out that HA lied to me last summer, she called them again. The result: a $50 credit. Big deal. One of my pet peeves is being lied to. So guess I started the cruise with a bit of a chip on my shoulder. This review might reflect that a bit.

We embarked in Barcelona. Very quick process. (NOTE: AFTER you go through security with your carry on luggage, there is a duty free shop. The liquor in that shop was about 1/3 the price of that which I'd ordered through HA and had delivered to the cabin. And More you can carry it onboard as you've already been through security screening (no x-ray machine).

There were a number of evidences of cost cutting; for example, the quality of the food. This was our 4th HA cruise. Our first was 4 or 5 years ago. The quality of the food had steadily declined. Examples: the pizza (which I often used to get to have for a quick dinner on occasion to sit on our balcony to watch the sunset) was inedible. The ice-cream tasted like whipped ice-milk of the least expensive variety. The first, tenth & eleventh evening meals were good -- not excellent but very good. The rest were cafeteria quality. Very disappointing. One other disappointment: the baked Alaska celebration was (as usual) planned for the last evening. However, we were in Venice on the last evening and almost everyone stayed in the town. (The information guide recommended this -- stating that most of the day tourists left and the city became much less crowded and more enjoyable.) IMHO, the baked Alaska should have been served the night before. (IMHO, this was poor planning in the part of HA.)

One more comment on the food: definitely try the Tamarind Restaurant. The food is cooked to order. If you don't want it with hot spices, or bean sprouts, they'll make it to your preference. Also, the service there is among the best we've ever received in any restaurant.

One more on food: Vegetarians must come to the dining room in the morning to select their food from a very limited, non-changing menu. Why they can not allow them to order the prior evening is beyond my comprehension.

The ship itself is nice, though not much different in layout, size, etc. than other HA ships of its class. The Tamarind was a nice addition. The cabanas seemed like they were mostly unused.

The cruise director was the best of any HA cruise we've taken. He had put together a VERY good set of evening shows in the main theater -- with the exception of the dancers (who seemed like first year dancing students and detracted from the rest of the show). Fortunately, the shows were centered around a group of 4 male and 2 female singers, 5 of whom were fantastic, the last very good. The piano bar player/singer, the guitarist, & other musicians (other than the classical music group, we mediocre. This might be because it was a port intensive cruise and people didn't care much, or it might be because the 6 singers mentioned above used up more than the usual budget. OR, it might be another example of HA's cost cutting.

One of the best persons on the ship (besides our stateroom attendant -- Manta, the BEST ever -- was Tom. He was not the person in charge of selling you excursions. He'd mention the shops. But more importantly, in his talks he'd tell you what to do if you didn't want to take an excursion. For example, we'd been to Florence and didn't want to take a whirlwind bus tour. We just wanted to get from the port to Florence. (It's about a 75 minute ride.) So when I went down to talk with Tom (He's very available) he handed me a sheet with all the details of how to catch the train to Florence and back. For my wife and I it cost about 35-40% of what an excursion would have cost and we didn't have to be crammed in a bus with 50 others and marched around like ants following a guide.

Debarkation in Venice. If you're staying over in EU on your own and traveling by train, HA does a TERRIBLE job of helping you get to the train station. We spoke with a HA rep in the baggage area who suggested taking a water taxi (euro 100). When I balked at that, she finally remembered that HA can transfer your luggage for euro 5 per bag to the train station. However, one bag was full of valuable electronics, the other medicine and jewelry. (Both were 21" roll ons and heavy) There was no way I was going to check those. So we checked the two with luggage, and had to lug our 21" bags to the people carrier, then to the train station which requires lugging your carriage about 80 yards across a bridge with steps -- no ramps for luggage!!! By the time we reached the train station (more steps -- no ramps), we were exhausted and my shirt was soaking wet with perspiration. IMHO, HAL should arrange easier transfer for those going to the train station. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7143

Cabin 7143 is on the stern/aft of the ship almost in the center. It was disappointing in a way as we had booked it to enjoy the wake while relaxing on the balcony. However, it's so high above the wake that the enjoyment is reduced. If this is your intent, I'd recommend booking on a much lower level. BUT, the balcony was significantly larger than those on the port or starboard. So was the stateroom -- it had about 5 extra feet at each end. I liked the decor, but didn't care for the closet arrangement. It's very tight -- a narrow entryway that the room service personnel could just barely navigate. Also, I missed the storage shelves that are typically above or in the corner above the vanity. Many past HA cruisers mentioned this and most agreed that it might be just another cost cutting act.

One of the great cities of Europe. Definitely get on the hop on-hop off red, double decker bus. Really inexpensive way to see everything. Then you can decide what you want to go back to if you have the time.

Tom recommended that we walk over to the jet boat to Capri as we'd been to Naples (the port). We did nd thoroughly enjoyed Capri.
Read 27 Capri Reviews

An incredibly interesting walled city. It's been mostly rebuilt after the shelling and bombing suffered in the 1990ish war. (Sadly, the roofs are all bright orange/red instead of the weathered tile.) Still, it's an incredible city. Wife and I hired a taxi. He took us from the ship to the top of the mountain where the cable cars end up. He gave us an explanation of the town, the war, etc. He'd stop frequently for photo ops. Then he left us off at the main gate to the city. It was Euro 50. He said it would be an hour. It ended up closer to two hours. (Not complaining, just saying we got our money's worth.) I think a taxi to town and a trip for two on the cable car would have been around Euro 40, so I'd definately recommend this option. With the map provided by HA and Tom's talk (in person or on the TV), you really don't need an excursion. This city was the highlight of our cruise

We've been to Venice many times. It used to be one of our favorite cities. But it now has WAY too many visitors during the daytime. And the people have become disenchanted and rude to the tourists from whom they make their living. The nicest people we met were from Sengal -- selling fake designer purses and watches. They were polite and fun to bargain with. And for God's sake, don't pay their asking price. They asked for 60-75 euro for a knock-off designer purse. We bought the first one for 20, second for 15, third for 13. It was fun bargaining with them. Just keep smiling and saying, "No, I'll get it somewhere else." Anyway, the only reason I give Venice a 3 is that the city itself is incredible and should be experienced. But it's like the Acropolis: way too crowded for a repeat visit. USA today even did a recent story on the need for a limit to tourists per day.
Read 502 Venice Reviews