“The Aging of Holland America in Alaska”
Cruise review of Holland America Statendam

alphorn Statendam 3 The Aging of Holland America in Alaska
alphorn
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We had been on an Alaskan cruise twice before and went on this ship to see more beauty as well as a port we hadn't seen before (Haines) and revisit one we liked (Ketchican). I had read about the silver-haired set of Holland America but I figured we would make our own fun and besides, it hadn't been noticeable when we cruised with them 8 years ago with our kids.

Well, the lack of energy and fun was evident, as demonstrated by the lack of activities on the ship and the amount of fun to be had. Very few social games. Most people read or did jigsaw puzzles! Haines had nothing to offer; I assume it was cheaper to dock there than at Sitka. The expeditions were VERY expensive. (We did go on the Gold Mine tour and enjoyed that.) The seas got rough and we were unable to dock at Ketchican, so they gave us a glass of champagne and ran a "Battle of the Sexes" game. How boring can you get?

Food was generally good. We had an excellent meal in Canaletto, the no-extra-fee restaurant that I assume is there to train waiters for The Pinnacle Grill (where they charge $39/pp) Desserts were fresh, made from scratch and the ice creams and sorbets were outstanding. My husband (a baker) is still talking about them.

Cabin and service was wonderful, but the lack of fun and feeling like I was cruising with my parents (I am 57 and able-bodied in good health) will not have us return to Alaska to sail or this line.

• Sail Date: June 2011
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Standard Interior Stateroom

Port
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Walked into town where nothing was worth going to see. 3 gift stores with local crafts. I bought a hunting hat for my son, since it is not available in Suburban NYC!

Read 55 Haines Reviews
Port
39 jewelry stores, need I say more? Mountains that shoot up behind stores are pretty.

Read 1,109 Juneau Reviews
Port
You can take a shuttle bus into town or to the Safeway for free. HAL lets you bring liquor on board, so we brought beer and wine for consumption in our cabin.

Read 115 Seward Reviews
Published 07/06/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Statendam Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?