Statendam Cruise Review by alphorn

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: NN
See More About: Statendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Statendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Statendam Deck Plans
The Aging of Holland America in Alaska
We had been on an Alaskan cruise twice before and went on this ship to see more beauty as well as a port we hadn't seen before (Haines) and revisit one we liked (Ketchican). I had read about the silver-haired set of Holland America but I figured we would make our own fun and besides, it hadn't been noticeable when we cruised with them 8 years ago with our kids.

Well, the lack of energy and fun was evident, as demonstrated by the lack of activities on the ship and the amount of fun to be had. Very few social games. Most people read or did jigsaw puzzles! Haines had nothing to offer; I assume it was cheaper to dock there than at Sitka. The expeditions were VERY expensive. (We did go on the Gold Mine tour and enjoyed that.) The seas got rough and we were unable to dock at Ketchican, so they gave us a glass of champagne and ran a "Battle of the Sexes" game. How boring can you get?

Food was generally good. We had an excellent meal in Canaletto, the no-extra-fee restaurant that I assume is there to train waiters for The Pinnacle Grill (where they charge $39/pp) Desserts were fresh, made from scratch and the ice creams and sorbets were outstanding. My husband (a baker) is still talking about them.

Cabin and service was wonderful, but the lack of fun and feeling like I was cruising with my parents (I am 57 and able-bodied in good health) will not have us return to Alaska to sail or this line.

Publication Date: 07/06/11
Read the Alaska ports review by alphorn
More Statendam Cruise Reviews