Statendam Cruise Review by alphorn: The Aging of Holland America in Alaska

The Aging of Holland America in Alaska

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seward

We had been on an Alaskan cruise twice before and went on this ship to see more beauty as well as a port we hadn't seen before (Haines) and revisit one we liked (Ketchican). I had read about the silver-haired set of Holland America but I figured we would make our own fun and besides, it hadn't been noticeable when we cruised with them 8 years ago with our kids.

Well, the lack of energy and fun was evident, as demonstrated by the lack of activities on the ship and the amount of fun to be had. Very few social games. Most people read or did jigsaw puzzles! Haines had nothing to offer; I assume it was cheaper to dock there than at Sitka. The expeditions were VERY expensive. (We did go on the Gold Mine tour and enjoyed that.) The seas got rough and we were unable to dock at Ketchican, so they gave us a glass of champagne and ran a "Battle of the Sexes" game. How boring can you get?

Food was generally good. We had an excellent meal in Canaletto, the no-extra-fee restaurant More that I assume is there to train waiters for The Pinnacle Grill (where they charge $39/pp) Desserts were fresh, made from scratch and the ice creams and sorbets were outstanding. My husband (a baker) is still talking about them.

Cabin and service was wonderful, but the lack of fun and feeling like I was cruising with my parents (I am 57 and able-bodied in good health) will not have us return to Alaska to sail or this line. Less

Published 07/06/11

Read more Statendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Statendam Review >>

Cabin review: N658 Standard Interior Stateroom

Wonderful cabin, not noisy at all. Convenient to elevators and stairs. Roomy.

Read All Standard Interior Stateroom (N) Reviews >>

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Walked into town where nothing was worth going to see. 3 gift stores with local crafts. I bought a hunting hat for my son, since it is not available in Suburban NYC!

Read 53 Haines Reviews

39 jewelry stores, need I say more? Mountains that shoot up behind stores are pretty.

Read 1038 Juneau Reviews

You can take a shuttle bus into town or to the Safeway for free. HAL lets you bring liquor on board, so we brought beer and wine for consumption in our cabin.

Read 102 Seward Reviews
alphorn
Member Since 2010
11 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?