MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by OD2: Family reunion cruise at good value

OD2
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on MSC Magnifica Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Family reunion cruise at good value

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

We booked a package through Transat Holidays. I was pleased with the ship - it was new and clean, and we had very good service in the dining room.

Food:

We did get the 7 p.m. early seating we requested. Although, because the booking was done as 5 people on one booking number and 2 on another, we were initially assigned to different tables. This was sorted out after the first night by going to the Maitre D' on Deck 5.

Because there is no dinner buffet on MSC, everyone eats in the 2 dining rooms. The food was fine, but not outstanding - mind you, there were almost 3000 passengers on board, and the food always came quickly and efficiently.

On the first formal night our men ordered steak: it came done as they had ordered, and was tender and tasty! Surprisingly the fish was always dissappointingly overcooked and hard, a lot of mackeral and cod. The turkey, pork, and chicken was always cooked solid, and served with sauces. They served us a lot of nice More pastas, salamis and cheeses of course, and breads of all kinds. One night we sampled cuttlefish, tongue, and cuttlefish ink risotto. We did not try the specialty restaurants.

Room service breakfast (limited selection - cold items only) is available at no extra charge. Although the form states that room service breakfast starts at 7:30 a.m., one night I scribbled out the 7:30 time and wrote in 7:15 instead. It came at 7:15 a.m. as I ordered. Otherwise room service during the rest of the day is at extra cost, from a room service menu with prices listed.

The passengers:

I'd guess that 75% were Italian, with 10% Germans, 5% Spaniards, a few French and the rest made up of Canadians, Americans, Swedes, and we met 3 Russians. It was a young crowd, lots of young couples and kids and babies in strollers.

Very casual dress - a lot of men in tiny speedo bathing suits strutting around with their bellies hanging out, and women in bikinis sunbathing packed together on the pool deck. I saw no tuxedos on formal nights, unlike every other cruise I've been on.

The 2 pools were packed with people, and tons of kids just doing cannon-balls into the water on top of everyone. It was impossible to swim. The 4 whirlpools were packed full like pickles in a jar all the time mostly with adults, and there were always more still trying to squeeze in! The pools close at 8:30 p.m. so it wasn't possible to take a quiet and late swim after the kids went to bed. Oh, and the kids never went to bed- they were up running around the ship way after midnight.

There were indeed the things I'd been warned about:

1. The pushy Italians who do refuse to form lines at the front desk or at the buffet and wait their turn, but push and shove and crowd around.

2. The drinking water is not free, but we (all Canadians and Americans) were given coupons for 7 large bottled water per person to be claimed by presenting the vouchers to the waiter in the dining room or at the buffet. Unfortuately although it was clearly stated that the minibar prices were listed, my grand-daughter ate from the minibar and drank the bottled water there, and her father had to pay at the end for that.

3. The Italians do not believe that rules are firm instructions, but rather that they are suggestions only. On port days we obedient Canadians noted the time posted on the gangway and in the daily bulletin. And even though we would have liked to buy a couple of souvenirs or taken more photos, we rushed back to be on time boarding. Then we watched from our balconies as the Italians straggled on.They would not be rushed. One day the ship was 1/2 hour late leaving, and on another it was an entire 1 hour late departing from the pier.

4. We had to be very vigilent with the on-board expenses. At every turn MSC will try to "nickel and dime" you. The "accounting office" had fixed short hours each day, so they had lineups whenever they were open with people wanting to see their account and disputing items loudly. There was a hard-to-find place on the inroom TV to view your on-board account, but it wasn't posted there until later in the cruise anyway.

5. To get anywhere with MSC, you must behave like the Italians - shout, carry-on loudly, and wave your arms. For example, despite their posted policy on the MSC internet site, saying that the daily gratuity can be adjusted by seeing the Accounting Office Manager, when my eldest son went down to do so, he was told it firmly that "wasn't possible". I had heard of this happening from the boards on Cruise Critic...apparently they will adjust them but you must make a huge fuss and complain before they will honour it. My son was not prepared to make a huge fuss, so just gave up.

8. The drinks are very expensive. But we managed by getting 2 "wine packages" with 7 bottles each, so we had enough coupons to provide 2 bottles on the table each evening. These packages provide fixed wines, and there is no choice, but at a significant saving.

9. There is a charge for coffee and tea, except at breakfast.

10. The Italians have a different sense of space than we do. They stand very close to you. They pack into the elevators, and even if the elevator is full when the doors open, they shove right in anyway with strollers, and whatever they are carrying.

The staterooms:

The three category 6 cabins on the port side towards the rear we had were very nice, not overly large but very functional. Everything was new and clean. The bathroom was rather smaller than I've had at times, and the corner shower only had a curved curtainrod and fabric curtain (the sort that when you get wet, clings to your body), not a door, but I managed just fine.

The category 9 stateroom for my son, his wife and daughter faced the rear of the ship, and it was larger and had a larger balcony also, than the class 6 balcony staterooms which the rest of us had. However, they didn't use their balcony because the black cinders from the ship's funnel fell constantly on that balcony and there was a constant smell of smoke in their room when they opened their sliding door. The loud roar of the the engines and the wake also made it noisy. Plus the people in the cabin above them smoked on their balcony and threw their cigarette butts over the railing, which occasionally landed on the balcony. Once again the stated policy is no smoking on the balconies, but you know the Italians...they don't believe in rules.

It was possible to open up between balconies of the 3 side-by-side cabins the rest of us had on the port side. After calling repeatedly for 3 hours we finally got someone to come and open the balcony dividers between two of the balconies, and 5 of us sat out there on the one sea day afternoon. It was very pleasant. The other couple preferred their privacy and so didn't open their balcony up with ours, but they sat out most days reading, talked to us around the divider, and clearly loved their balcony.

Language and announcements:

Announcements were infrequent, and done in 5 languages over the PA: English, Italian, German, Spanish, French, and one other I couldn't identify.

Because of the many nationalities on board the evening entertainment was quite interesting and different from any cruise I've taken: contortionists, acrobats, high wire artists, and visual gags. AND this is the only cruise I've taken where there was one evening of opera excerpts - which I really enjoyed. The MC for the evening had to present each artist over and over in every language, which slowed things down a little but was not too objectionable.

The printed English daily bulletin listed the daily activities - very few for English speakers - mostly exercise or dance classes. No lectures. No port information meetings. No movies on TV - although at the end I found on my in-cabin TV a place to buy a few English pay-per-view movies but nothing of any interest to me. The TV had 4 English channels: BBC news, American news, and 2 finance and business channels.

Not everyone understood English - our cabin steward was very cheerful and efficient but didn't really speak much English and I believe didn't read. I left a couple of notes for him, but quickly learned that if I needed something done I had to call the front desk and they would relay the message in his language.

Wake up calls are automated but are not reliable, and if they do come are usually between 10 and 15 minutes late. I remind people to take a travel clock.

The ports:

The weather was great, only a little sprinkle one day for about 1 hour. The ports were very interesting - we loved Dubrovnik and Istanbul, especially. We only wished there was more time in each port, but it was an itinerary that covered alot of distance between ports! The seas were mostly calm, so no-one was seasick. However, to get to the next scheduled port on time, the captain had to really gun the big engines below. We had trouble sleeping some nights because of the powerful throbbing of the big rear engines which, despite the fact that we were up on the 9th deck, actually made our beds go up and down in rhythm, and there was noise because everything shook and rattled in the cabin! Some nights we absolutely flew across the water! I would recommend that anyone who books this itinerary avoid the rear of the ship for this reason.

The flight:

Air Transat was delayed 2 hours departing out of Toronto. On arrival in Venice they had lost my grand-daughter's luggage. We almost missed the ship because the connection was tight anyway, and her parents needed to make a lost luggage report. We rushed to the ship in a small minivan, because the AT shuttles had long since left with everyone else. We ran onto the ship and they drew up the boarding ramp behind us. We were last onboard and checked in at the front desk. Her bag eventually was found and returned to her. No explanation. It arrived on the ship 5 days later in Istanbul, and her father had to pay €50 to retrieve it from the front desk. Less

Read more MSC Magnifica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Magnifica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Magnifica Superior Balcony Camogli Deck

Cabin 9221 - A large cabin and large balcony at rear of ship. Lots of smoke and cinders from the ship's funnel land on the balcony, and the roar of the wake makes it too noisy to spend much time out there. Cabins 9195, 9199, 9203 - balcony cabins toward the rear port side. Nice cabins, with smaller but adequate balconies - clean and new. The adjacent balcony dividers can be opened to create one large balcony. The only problem is that when the ship is going full out, the big engines below cause a vibration that makes everything in these cabins pulsate. There is noise because everything rattles in the cabins and the vibration causes difficulty sleeping.

(3)
A nice old town - we walked around town on our own, and saw the lovely old buildings. The day we were there was Sunday, so all the churches were open and we could peek in. The Norman fort was interesting but most of it was not open to the public. No need to take a ship's tour for this place.

Read 104 Bari Reviews

Dubrovnik's charms are well known. This walled city is easily walkable on your own. We visited the Monastery and several churches before taking time to shop, listen to folk street musicians, and eat at an outdoor cafe. The transfer from the ship to the town was 10 and the MSC shuttle service was excellent. We didn't walk along the top of the walls although many were doing so. It was quite a hot day, so we stayed in the shade as much as we could.

What can I say about Istanbul that others haven't. This is an amazing city. We contacted the Ephesus Shuttle folks once we got back on the ship after Izmir. Immediately they responded and we had our private tour arranged. Our guide was great, and right there when he said he'd be. We saw the Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace, then had lunch of local food and tasted Raki. After that some of us did private rug shopping, while others shopped in the Grand Bazaar. The price for the ship's tour was US$211 pp, and we paid US$80 pp. It was fabulous. I can't say enough good things about the wonderful day we had, and our terrific guide, Umit.

Read 262 Istanbul Reviews

We took the ship's tour to Ephesus. Since the lady we received as our guide spoke Spanish and some English, most of the best commentary was in Spanish which we couldn't really follow. Also there were 4 ships in port so the site was jammed with people. It was difficult to hear what our guide said over the hubbub created by the other guides and tourists all talking at once. However, it is an awesome site! Please be sure to go, if you have never seen it. Another time, if there is another time, I would contact an excellent private guide service instead of doing the ship's tour. Many CC members have used them and been very happy (www.ephesusshuttle.com).

Read 153 Izmir Reviews

The ship's tours are expensive, and the taxi fares at over 100 are prohibitive. So we did what one CC member suggested and walked off the ship and into town. Just to the left as you exit the port is a little office that says GeoTravel. We went in there and bought ticketw for their bus to Olympia at 10 pp round trip. They took us to the old site of Olympia, and brought us back in excellent time to get back onboard. Unfortuately the Museum which holds the major finds of the excavation was closed the day we were there.

At the end of the cruise we had about 4 hours available before we had to go to the airport for our flight home. We had a private tour arranged with a guide we found recommended in a CC forum. Her tour was fine, but not quite as smoothly organized as the one we had with Ephesus shuttle. Two members of our group had to miss the first hour of our tour because they had to stand in line to get our luggage stored at the railway station. One nice thing she did is to take us around the quiet backstreets and see parts of the city other tourists never see. She also arranged a private water taxi so that we could go through the less known canals and see some very old canal houses. Venice can be a real tourist trap and trinkets, Mardi Gras masks, etc. were everywhere for sale. The area around St. Mark's square was absolutely packed, so was hard to get a good view of the buildings and at the same time keep our small group together. But St. Marks is breathtaking - don't miss it!

Read 514 Venice Reviews