Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by IndianaDan: Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

IndianaDan
0 Post

Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2005

This was my first cruise. And it is hard to go wrong being in the Caribbean in January. I've travelled to Bahamas, Hawaii several times and throughout the US extensively. This cruise and the ship itself were very enjoyable.

The ship was laid out very well with plenty of space if that is what you were wanting or to interact with people in the various clubs, pool or during scheduled activities.

The Cruise Director, Matt Baker, from Wales, did an excellent job with passengers ... keeping them well entertained. See comments from other reviews and you'll see that he does his job well for RCI.

The stateroom I had was relatively small (about 150 sq. ft.), but like with Club Med, what the heck are you doing in your stateroom on a cruise other than sleeping and getting ready to go enjoy the ship. So, they met their purpose. Plenty of storage, stateroom attendant was very friendly and accommodating. Staff members throughout the ship were very friendly and seemed More sincere in desire to help or ask if they could help you.

The food in the My Fair Lady formal dining room was very good as was the attending dining staff. The less formal Windjammer dining area was usually apportioned with generally the same food as the My Fair Lady, which meant you could enjoy the well-prepared meals but in a less formal setting which balanced the evening's dining experience over the five days.

An important lesson that I learned was to next time book the "organized excursions" instead of trying to venture out on my own. Our first stop was Jamaica. I disembarked and walked into Ocho Rios on my own. Will never do that again. During the mile I walked from the ship before turning around in frustration, I was solicited for many things ranging from obviously dubious "personal" tours of the island to other "things" that probably shouldn't be mentioned here. This solicitation was a barrage from the locals, though they were very friendly and respectful. As a well-seasoned traveller within the US, I was not accustom to being literally followed, one-after-another, by impromptu tour guides. If you do decide to walk from the ship, be prepared to smile, make no eye contact, say "no thank you" a lot and consistently, and to walk away very quickly. They will follow you (one did for a quarter mile). It turned into a battle of the wills ... not what I really wanted to experience on a vacation. If this doesn't bother you, you'll be fine. I have had to barter in the Bahamas at the various markets, but this was way overboard for what most people would probably care for ... just stay with the organized excursions for getting the most enjoyment out of your trip or take a taxi immediately off ship to a specific destination.

Overall, I would rate this cruise very enjoyable, the ship and attending staff excellent and I've learned lessons for the next cruise that will be invaluable for the next time out on the high seas! Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>