Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by angiernc: Never a dull moment

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Never a dull moment

Sail Date: June 2011

We chose this particular cruise mainly because of the itinerary. My husband and I had been to Key West and loved it so much that we wanted to take our daughters. We are mid 40's and have four daughters ages 22,17,17,and 13. The oldest daughter graduated from college and the twins from high school so this was a celebration cruise for them.

We arrived at Port Everglades around 10:30 am, on board without any problems by 11:30 and on the lido deck eating lunch. I had learned from reading reviews that the area by the fish and chips station was rarely crowded and I did find this to be true each and every day. Even at peak time we could always find a seat. We ate breakfast and lunch every day on the lido deck and supper every night in the dining room. The food was very good most of the time. Meals in the dining room were always good with a wide variety of selections and our waiter, Andre, was always very helpful with suggestions. We did not participate in any of the speciality More dining so I am not able to comment on that.

We stayed on the upper deck in an interior room. Did not spend much time in the room but it was a nice size with plenty of drawer and closet space. Our room steward, Igusti, took very good care of us and was always very kind and helpful to our teenagers. The only issue I had was that our room was over the casino and it was pretty noisy until about 2:00am. I will pay more attention to the location of our room next time.

We did participate in quite a few of the on board activities. All of the shows were excellent. Ticket to Ride was our favorite. My husband and oldest daughter went to the comedy shows and while there was quite a bit of bad language they said they did enjoy the comedians. I did gain alot of appreciation for the dancers because during the past guest party we danced on stage and I found it very difficult to keep my balance due to the swaying of the ship.

Debarkation was quick and well organized.

Overall I would say it was a great cruise. Some of the decks on the ship are odd and we were just getting it figured out by the time the cruise was over. Most all of the staff was very gracious although I did think the cruise director was,at times, a little rude and arrogant. I would definitely recommend this cruise and would love to go again. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Interior Upper 6330

Room 6330-nice size, lots of closet and drawer space, very noisy because it is right over the casino.

Grand Cayman-We had never been to Grand Cayman so I was really not sure what we wanted to do there. I ended up booking the Best of Cayman Tour through Carnival. We had a really good time. Our driver was Dawson and he was very kind and knowledgeable about the area. We went to the Tortuga Rum Cake factory, Hell, and the turtle farm. My girls loved the turtle farm because they got to hold several different sizes of turtles and got to see some hatchlings that had just been born. Dawson also stopped at Governor's Beach and let us walk around which was not on the tour. He dropped us off at the dock and from there we just walked around to shop and ate a turtle burger at the Paradise restaurant.

Key West was as beautiful as I remembered. We did the Cityview Trolley Tour with our girls because they had never been to Key West. I purchased the tickets online prior to the cruise because there was a discount and took the printed receipt to the ticket stand and we were able to board the trolley quickly. It was a hop on and off tour and we never had to wait more than a few minutes at any of the stops. All the drivers we encountered were very knowledgeable and funny. We ate ate the Islamorada Fish Company and they had the best lobster bisque I have ever tasted.

Read 729 Key West Reviews

Ocho Rios-We had also never been to Jamaica so I again booked a tour through Carnival. We did the Prospect Plantation and Dolphin Cove. Loved the plantation tour-we rode in a tractor pulled wagon all over the plantation. Our guide was Vincent and he was so funny. It was very educational and funny and I got some beautiful pictures of all of the different flowers and the views were awesome. Dolphin Cove was okay. We did not do any of the dolphin programs but just sat on the beach. The beach area is small and rocky. We were served lunch of hamburgers and jerk chicken and all the rum punch you could drink. Afterwards a shuttle dropped us off in the shopping area right outside the dock and we went to Margaritaville for a drink. We were stopped several times walking back to the ship by people wanting us to buy stuff but we just said no thanks and kept on walking.