Sea Princess Cruise Review by acm3rd: Princess - a new experience for us

acm3rd
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Sea Princess Alaska Cruises

Princess - a new experience for us

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

We just returned today from a 10 day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco. We chose Princess Cruises simply for the fact that we live about 40 minutes from the dock so we didn't have to fly anywhere. That was huge! Since my wife had no airline restrictions to deal with, she packed 7 pieces of luggage to be checked. Fortunately, she learned her own lesson there so I didn't have to add my 2 cents. That's dangerous when she does all the packing anyway.

Check in was fantastic. From being dropped off on the street to our stateroom was about half an hour. These guys were organized. We had a balcony room, our first. Nothing fancy but quite adequate and thanks to the space under the bed for suitcases, we didn't have to discuss the 7 suitcases any more.

I thought Mariner of the Seas was a nicer ship - flashier. Sea Princess is older and it's easy to see that. Definite wear & tear but certainly not anything that would deter us from returning. Service was great and More embarkation was smooth too.

I think it was the food in the buffet that was my problem. The dining room was great but the buffet was horrible. On the Mariner we ate most of our meals in the buffet but on the Sea Princess, we made a point of getting to the dining room on time to avoid an encounter with the buffet. It's too small, most of the food was like a terrible high school cafeteria and the service was slow. This was our only complaint on the ship. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sea Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sea Princess Oceanview Doulbe with Balcony Caribe Deck c325

(5.5)
We purchased the whale watching tour/ salmon bake from Alaskan Tours on the internet. We saw many whales and some Orcas went right under the boat! The salmon bake was the best ever. Princess didn't offer the early morning tour and we were going dog sledding at 4pm so that's why I booked on my own. The dog sledding tour through Princess was the best of all. Up and back on a helicopter and the nicest people at the dog compound made for a fantastic day. Up on the glacier, you're really out in the wilderness. This is a must for an excursion. I'm really a musher now!
Read 841 Juneau Reviews

We went on the boat tour to the Misty Fjords and returned by float plane. The water was so smooth and we saw 2 eagles and beautiful scenery. The plane gave us a good view from above. We purchased through Princess. We walked around a bit before heading back.

Here we took the White Pass Railway to Carcross. Actually, we took the bus there and the train back. We saw 2 bears on the bus trip and beautiful scenery from the train. I think the train trip was a little long and would rethink this long version next time.
Read 645 Skagway Reviews