Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by cdamion

Cruise Date: June 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: K

So Nice, Gonna Do It Twice
I needed a quick getaway and was concerned it would be too crazy. It was not. It was a good fun 3 day getaway. Good balance of a lot of fun and relaxation. The passengers on Majesty did not go overboard like I have seen on other lines. While it was very short, it was a great escape. So much so that I am doing it again in a couple months.

Embarkation: The best I have experienced yet. Very quick and efficient - and that is with them having computer problems that morning.

Food:

Buffet - (only had for embarkation lunch) - not impressed at all. The food seemed old and dried out. Horizon Court is a very attractive area with great views. I just wish the food was as good as the facilities.

MDR - Very good. Not the best I have ever had at sea, but there was nothing I did not enjoy. I did miss not having lobster available. Portions seemed a bit small, but I never left hungry. MDR service was good. Actually I would say my 3 day Majesty service in the MDR was better than my last week-long cruise on Princess.

Room Service - just had a late night burger - probably the worst burger I have ever had - room temperature, very dry and just tasted 'off'. Service was less than 30 minutes. They made very sure I was aware of the late night fee for room service, so there could be no misunderstanding.

Pizza - I am not a big cruise ship pizza person. It was just ok to me (but all cruise ship pizza is just ok to me - frankly, Im not truly happy with pizza unless I am having it in NY).

Johnny Rockets - didn't try.

Compass Deli - didn't try, but others raved about it.

Bars - for the most part, the bartenders were friendly, but very often I would hear them arguing in the back or complaining about work, etc. I have never heard that before on a ship. While it was unprofessional to hear it, it in no way impacted how they dealt with customers. I noticed it in a couple of places, but it was most common in the Viking Crown lounge. They would be arguing in the back, or complaining about a co-worker or something else in the back pretty much every time I was up there, but when they came back out on the floor, they were genuinely friendly and personable to the passengers. The bartender at Boleros was a little rude to me one time and over charged me for a rum I requested that he had to get from a closet. Same bartender, same rum next day was fine with no problems or inflated price.

Cruise director: I have always been of the opinion that the cruise director really doesn't make a difference with a cruise. However with Dan Dan the Party Man, he was VERY involved with all of the activities. He was awesome and really worked hard to make the cruise very fun. He is a great, great cruise director with a great, fun staff.

Entertainment: Showroom = meh. I've been spoiled by shows on other ships. The singers and dancers were very talented and professional, just no wow factor compared to my experiences on other ships. The musicians in all of the other venues were very good.

Condition of the Ship: While overall the Majesty is in very good shape, there are areas where you can feel the age. Seating in some of the venues just feels uncomfortable - like the theater and the Viking Crown Lounge where some of the seats are sagging or sloped from wear (hard to explain). Other areas are just fine. This is nitpicky stuff. It was just clear to me the ship did not feel as crisp and new as other ships. I don't know if it was just my imagination, but the ceilings felt lower than other ships (Majesty is the smallest and oldest ship I have been on). The lido deck around the pool seemed to be in as new as any ship I have been on. Likewise windjammer/compass/Johnny Rockets area was in great shape - nothing seemed old or worn about these areas at all.

Casino: a little bit disappointed. Many of the machines are aged. I was disappointed that there was no way to track points like on Princess and Carnival (Carnival Corp's Ocean Player's Club does a good job of making players feel welcome) so I missed that on RCI.

Pool area: I did not go in the pools but did hang out on the pool deck a bit. There were always chairs on the 12th deck above the pool. The pool area was always full, but never seemed as crowded as I am used to. The carpeting up on the 12th deck sometimes smelled a bit musty. Right around the pool on the Lido deck seemed as modern as any ship I have been on.

Coco Cay: very pleasantly surprised. Far exceeded my expectations. I snorkeled, but the water was rough and I am out of shape, so I got winded swimming out to the area where the sunken planes are. The deep water snorkel area was roped off due to the strong currents. The waverunner tour was fun but fairly disorganized. More details in the trip report to follow.

Nassau: very crowded in the port area because both Oasis and Dream were there along with Norwegian Sky and Majesty. 45 minute wait to get back to the ship after an excursion because both Oasis and Dream were leaving at 2, so got jammed with thousands of people trying to get back to those ships. I booked Majesty again and specifically avoided a day that those 2 ships were in port at the same time. I usually do independent shore excursions, but for snorkeling in Nassau, I could not come anywhere near matching RCI's price for a snorkel sail.

Disembarkation - very painless and smooth.

Great, fun cruise.

Special note for solo cruisers - this 3 day cruise is fine for solos - the MDR experience was a bit trying - first I wasn't even assigned to a table, and then a couple times I had to wait alone at a six-top for table mates to join because they were usually late. Other than that, I never felt odd being by myself on board. Even during the quest game show some people nearby invited me to join their team.

Publication Date: 06/28/11