Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by jennym1

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: IB
See More About: Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Scruffs tours!
The Baltic is an incredible destination. All the cities are fabulous although Copenhagen, Helskinki and Stockholm are very expensive but as you are only visiting them for a day that does not matter. The highlights were Tallin, which we wandered through on our own and was charming, St Petersburg the most amazing place ever and the place I want to go back to - Stockholm. We took the NCL tours of St Petersburg, Helskini and Stockholm and found them excellent with good guides and small numbers. We booked early on line and enjoyed good discounts.

The ship was fine and our cabin steward Luis was excellent but we found the service elsewhere especially in the Seven Seas restaurant patchy at best for the first part of our holiday, The buffet was small and badly designed so difficult to get to. Other guests did not help. I suspect that owing to the Americans not visiting Europe that the cruise was discounted in Germany as a lot of guests embarked at Wandemundeand made up at least a quarter of the guests and they are not known for their queuing skills. I had a bad experience in the buffet and in Seven Seas restaurant, so much so that I had discussions with the Restaurant Manager. I had informed NCL of my problem but try as I could it did not get resolved until day 3 at this meeting. Susanne the Restaurant Manager was great and so was Tanberg D Sousaz who took me under his wing in the Four Seasons restaurant and who really saved the day. My food was OK and they really tried but my husband found the lack of choice, indifferent cooking and lack of imagination difficult. It seemed we were being lead towards the speciality restaurants which added up pricewise and most people we spoke to said they were not worth the extra. Not good

The emergency drill was a farce in 4 different languages with people strolling in 20 minutes late oblivious to the fact that it was compulsory. We also found that Freestyle on this voyage meant not one changed clothes and a lot of the passengers dowdy and scruffy at all times. I felt overdressed one night as I was wearing a pink dress!

The entertainment was not in our opinion up to the standard we have had on other ships although Two for the Road and the trio in the Observation Bar were excellent.

Not the best ship experience we have had but as the previous correspondent said - Thank god for the destinations.

Publication Date: 06/28/11