Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by geduffer: Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda 6/12/11

geduffer
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda 6/12/11

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We sailed Celebrity Summit to Bermuda after sailing on her to the S. Caribbean previously. She's not a newer ship and she's due for a face-lift, but she's clean and well maintained. We had forward cabin 6000 for me, my wife and my nephew. The cabin was great, except for the usual contortions needed in that small a bathroom.

Our stateroom attendant, Constancio, was excellent, always making sure we had everything we needed. We sent one bag of laundry out and he dropped it off in the evening and we had it back after lunch the next day. Well done by the laundry team.

We had dinner in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant every night and had absolutely no problems. After reading so many complaints about the dining room food, I wonder about some cruisers' expectations being unrealistically high. Our waiter, Diego, and his assistant, Rudy, were both excellent and our food was always the correct temperature and always presented well. Diego was very knowledgeable and his More recommendations were always spot-on. We also found that the food at the buffet was fine as well as the grill (in fact the chili at the grill was outstanding...I loaded it into tacos every day). Kudos to Executive Chef Andy Bouchard for the tight kitchen that he runs and his friendly open personality. He was great to talk to and to pose for pictures with.

The bar staff in all of the public rooms were as friendly as all of the other crew and had know problems with any curve balls that I threw at them. The cruise director, Damian, was terrific once again (he had been cruise director aboard Summit in January 2010 for our Southern Caribbean sailing-a first for me and my wife). He was friendly, engaging, had a great sense of humor(being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan you need one, as do us New York Islanders fans). Damian did a great job and I only hope our paths cross again.

As far as the entertainment goes, we didn't do the production shows at all, but the comedian, Troy Thirdgill, was very funny. We didn't catch his full show but we saw his half hour in the farewell show. The singer, Mark Preston of the 60s vocal group The Lettermen, was outstanding. We had seen him on a previous cruise and he does a great show. He also is very good at poking a little fun at himself and makes everyone feel at ease. He did a full hour show and the reprise at the farewell show and both sets were completely different and beautifully performed. One thing about him is that in each show he came down from the stage and shook hands with as many audience members as he could while singing a song. If you are sailing a Celebrity cruise and Mark Preston turns up in your daily, make sure you catch his show. You won't be disappointed.

Embarkation at Cape Liberty was easy, parking was $133 for the week, cheaper than the NYC passenger terminal and close to the check-in location. Disembarkation was just as easy. We were off the ship 15 minutes before our designated time, baggage was easy to find, porters were plentiful and customs was a snap. In all we were off the ship at 8:45 AM, out of the parking lot by 9:30 AM and home well before noon.

Captain Costas and the rest of the ships officers were friendly, funny and very visible. Thanks to Cruise Critic we got to do a bridge tour and my wife got to do a galley tour and both were first rate.

Thanks to Celebrity Cruises for a great vacation. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Penthouse Deck (6) 6000

Cabin 6000, forward ocean view cabin on the Penthouse Deck. Nice view right out to the helipad. Not much drawer space, but decent closet and larger than the standard ocean view. Small bathroom with very small shower.

While the port in Bermuda, Kings Wharf, isn't my favorite it was adequate. The problem is that Hamilton Harbor is not deep enough for the bigger cruise liners and Town Cut into St. George is not wide enough. Hamilton is a great shopping port and an easy ferry ride away. The buses run well although some of the drivers are nuts, but they do get you where you want to go. I took my nephew to the Aquarium. I would recommend it for a one time visit, but there's not enough to take a second run there. We did not take a ship excursion, but we did hire one of the taxi driver/certified tour guides for a 5 hour tour on sail-away day and he did not disappoint. Our guide was named Colin Jennings and he was terrific. Having not done a tour of the island before, we put ourselves in his hands and it was amazing, all the way from Dockyard to St. George and back. We didn't spend too much time at Dockyard, but there is a pub (Frog and Onion), Sea Glass Beach, Maritime Museum, the Dolphin interaction and a beach nearby. We did check out Dockyard Glassworks and the Rum Cake store on the way back to the ship before sailing. The glass blowers work out in the open and are amazingly skilled. On previous cruises, Dockyard was a ferry ride away and two hours covered it. There is much more to do there now if you wish.