Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by dunnck

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: dunnck
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Amazing Experience
After reading the poor reviews for the Celebrity Summit, my fiancE and I were skeptical about what we were about to experience. We had both already been to Bermuda the prior year with Royal Caribbean, and did not think that anything would be up to par. However, we were pleasantly surprised from the beginning of our arrival at Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey. We arrived slightly early, but were able to quickly go through security, get our SeaPasses, and take our first pictures. From there, we jumped right on the shuttle to the ship and walked right aboard, welcomed with Mimosas. We then got lunch from the buffet and explored the ship and our stateroom was ready by 1:30 PM. What we did not expect but were happy to find in our room were bathrobes and even two umbrellas should rain have met us in Bermuda (luckily we did not need them), as well as a free beach bag. The crew throughout the entire ship was always friendly and welcoming, ready to entertain and chat with all guests and passengers. Definitely very impressive so far.

Throughout the course of the cruise, we were very impressed with the food in all places (minus the Normandie Restaurant-we did not eat here as it was not free). The Waterfall Cafe (the buffet) went on for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and the options were phenomenal. Even when we were hungry for a small snack, we were able to visit the coffee cafe for free mini sandwiches and small salads (the coffee/espresso/liquor drinks were not free-but if you'd like coffee throughout the day, my suggestion is that you head to the Waterfall Cafe for free coffee). The room service was also always available, and FREE!!! The main dining room called the Cosmopolitan Restaurant always had plenty of options and the food was exceptional, along with the entertaining servers. Best of all, the drink server remembered our names and drink orders from the very first day and from another bar, I might add. Although drinks were a bit pricey, we quickly understood why-they were neither stingy with the quality, nor the amount of alcohol in each drink. I have to say that we were also very impressed with how the cruise line apparently matched up our table-mates with us; we were all close in age and had very much in common with the other couples at our table- we even hung out with them throughout the cruise AND when we docked in Bermuda. My word of advice: take the time to answer the questions about yourself when booking your cruise-they ask those questions for a reason!

The activities offered also kept us entertained. On our previous cruise with Royal Caribbean to Bermuda a year earlier, we didn't get involved with the onboard activities too much. On Celebrity Summit, we did karaoke and hung out and partied until late into the night in the lounges and bars with our table mates. Although I can't remember his name, the comedian was very funny and entertaining along with the singer/musician that followed his act. Although we personally weren't into his particular "style", he was nonetheless a pretty good entertainer. We saw one other show with the other singers and dancers and were generally happy with it. I do have to say that it is not really a show for younger audiences, for the female dancers/singers costumes for this particular show were a bit... revealing (I am by no means prude when it comes to things like this, I just thought it would be something to note). The dancing was quite impressive, though.

There are two main pools- one in the "Aquaspa" mainly for adults with jets and warm jets as well as a hot tub. Note: Security does not permit children under 16 to enter the hot tub; they WILL make your children leave the Jacuzzi. The other pool was welcome to families and was also a wave pool. Another note: be sure to reserve your seat at the pool as they fill up very quickly. But, this is common throughout any cruise ship. The fitness center was also impressively large and well-equipped with many machines, mats, free-weights/equipment, etc., and knowledgeable personal trainers. Although I would have liked to join in the yoga and Pilates sessions (which apply a small fee of $8 I believe), I wound up not doing them for other reasons. Nonetheless, I heard from other passengers that they were great programs. The spa was a bit out of my price range, but look out for specials throughout the trip if the treatments they offer interest you.

Of course, Bermuda was beautiful as usual and very safe. I do recommend that you eat on board the ship before going out in town since the restaurants can get a bit expensive (some are quite worth the price, but why spend the extra money when you can eat on board any time for free?!). One last thing I can note is that the times they give you when leaving the ship are accurate-we were given an 8:20 AM disembarkation time. We reached our designated room to wait in with our items we were carrying off at 8:10AM, were called at 8:15AM and walked down to the gangway and right onto the shuttle back to Cape Liberty customs. We were in our car by 8:35AM and ready to leave the port! Very, very smooth. I can genuinely say that we have absolutely no objections or negative things to say about this cruise. Celebrity Cruises is most certainly the way to go when traveling to Bermuda. Enjoy!!

Publication Date: 06/28/11