Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by carlsbad1

Cruise Date: May 2011
Cabin Category: D5
Spa & Fitness 5+

Best Vacation Ever!
My wife and I sailed on Oasis May 21 through May 28. Besides our honeymoon, we thought this was the best vacation we've ever had. For what it's worth, my wife and I have stayed at resorts that are considered 4 and 5 stars. We certainly felt like Oasis was a 5 star resort on water. Our two concerns prior to the Cruise were that the food might be just average and the entertainment might be cheesy. As it tuns out, we had nothing to be concerned about. Both were great!

Food: The dining room food was great! There was good variety on the menu each night and the selections changed each night. There were two formal nights on the ship and most men wore jackets with a tie and my wife wore cocktail dresses both those nights. Other nights, I wore a long sleeve collared shirt. My only complaint about the dining room is that I felt we were in the dining room too long. 1 1/2 hours on average is too long in my opinion. That being said, my wife liked the amount of time we spent there (she said it's the experience...) So, just a matter of opinion. Although, when we ate earlier in the night, we were in and out within a little quicker. We ate at Chops on night...I would rate it 7 out of 10. The steaks were not as good as Ruth Chris or Mortons, but decent. We also ate at Giovani's...8 out of 10. I was hoping that Giovani's might have traditional Italian food (pasta with meatballs, lasagna, etc). This was not the case, more upscale Italian but very good nonetheless. Our favorite breakfast and lunch spot was Park Cafe in Central. Yes, the roast beef sandwich is good. The roast beef is very tender. We loved getting our food and taking it to a table outdoors. It was a very relaxing area. Windjammer was good for breakfast. The buffet was up to par with a standard Vegas buffet. We had to search for a table but never had to wait for a table.

Entertainment: My wife and I have seen a handful of Broadway shows in New York and the Hairspray production on Oasis was as good if not better than the other Broadway shows we have seen. I would rate Hairspray a 9 out of 10. We also saw Oasis of Dreams. Lot's of diving, synchronized swimming and some gymnastics. Very entertaining...8 out of 10. We saw Come Fly with Me. Similar to a Cirque du Soleil show. 7 out of 10. We saw the comedy show as well. My wife and I just saw David Spade live near our hometown. The first comedian on Oasis was not so good but second comedian was funnier than David Spade, we thought. I believe he has preformed on Jay Leno a few times. Love and Marriage show was hilarious (similar to the old "Newlyweds" show). The host (Richard Spacey) made it very funny too.

Room: We stayed in an Oceanview Stateroom. We did not feel cramped at all. There is an area outside the bathroom with a vanity mirror. This worked out great because my wife could get ready for the night while I showered. The bed was very comfortable. There is a pillow mattress cover on the bed which was nice. I believe the bed was king size or close to it. I believe they put two beds together to make one but we couldn't tell. We are really glad to have had a room with a deck facing the ocean. It was so nice to get room service for breakfast and eat on the deck or have a late afternoon cocktail on the deck and gaze at the ocean and here the water in the background. We want to go back on the cruise now! We had large suitcases and we were able to store them under the bed after we emptied them. Two duplex outlets in the room was plenty capacity for us (cell phones, laptop).

Ports: In Nassau, we did the dolphin excursion on Paradise Island. We opted for the more expensive option where you have more interaction with the dolphins and we are glad we did. Lot's of time in the water with the dolphins....Excursion was 10 out of 10. In St. Thomas snorkeled at Turtle Cove. Lots of turtles but not a lot of fish...6 out of 10. In St. Maarten, we did the zip line Extreme at Lotarie Farms. I was afraid the zip lines might be short and at low elevations. Not the case at all. Lot's of fun, fairly physical demanding...9 out of 10.

Pools: We never had a problem finding a chair at the pool. We didn't go to the pool early to reserve a chair. On average only 75% of the chairs were occupied.

Spa/Gym: We had a couples massage. My wife has had a lot of massages in her lifetime and she said the massage on the Oasis was very good, relatively speaking. Her only complaint is that the room was too bright (lot's of natural light from the large window). We worked out in the gym a few times and the gym is better than the 24 Hour Fitness Sport gym we belong to at home.

Ship: Amazing! We enjoyed walking around the ship and simply checking out the architecture. The ship really is a 5 star resort on water! Ship was very clean and there was always crew members maintaining various parts of the ship.

Service: Great! Right up there with a 5 star resort. Even the employees that cannot accept tips provided great service. All the employees seemed like they really enjoyed working there. Only average service was at the customer service desk, ironically.

Thing we didn't do that we wish we did: Oasis plays movies under the stars at the outdoor amphitheatre. We caught the last 15 minutes of one of the movies and it was so relaxing.

Tips: Make show reservations and dining reservations online. If you are interested in the zip line and simulated wave, do these early in the week as they get busier as the week goes on. If you can afford it, get a room facing the ocean (we rarely saw anyone on their deck that had rooms facing Central Park or Boardwalk). Book your excursions online before you board because the popular excursions will sell out. You can drink the tap water on the ship but bring a case of water with you. It is nice to have bottled water for the islands, walking around the ship or when you're by the pool. Put your luggage tag on the case of water just as you will your luggage. The crew will bring the case of water to your room with your luggage.

Publication Date: 06/27/11