Amsterdam Cruise Review by ksyrah

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
        3-6 5+
        7-9 4.0

Ship Facts: Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Amsterdam Deck Plans
Amsterdam 14 day Alaska
Let me start by saying that this is my 4th cruise to Alaska - first on HAL.

I think that the average age on this cruise was 75 - There were about 40 kids(teens and below) on this cruise. I don't know if it was because it was early June or the demographics of HAL, but sometimes it felt like it took hours to move down the hall or board a tender, etc.

Embarkation - Due to a SNAFU, I ended up parking our car at the port and had to get there early. Lines were short and were probably on the ship within 15 minutes of parking. Granted, I dropped off the luggage with a porter first. And some of that time was spent going up the gangway behind someone in a walker. Cabin was a decent size and was ready when we boarded. HAL seems to have a policy of serving food for the first two days. Needless to say, getting some snacks took a while and it also took a while for the other folks to figure out the lines.

Dining - The food was pretty good overall. The Pinnacle grill was not to be missed. My parents stated that the Italian restaurant tasted like Chef-boyarde(sp?). There seemed to be something for everyone and with the specialty lunches served on the Lido, no one went hungry.

Ports - We had been to Ketchikan before. The biggest disappointment for us was that the duty free liquor shop had closed down. It rained all day in Juneau. Did a little shopping and used the free internet in the library that was next to the ship. Icy Straight - went whale watching with Misty Bay lodge. Saw a ton of whales. Anchorage - We took the kids the the museum and they had a great time with the interactive exhibits. Then took a bike ride along the water. Homer - Rented a minivan and the seven of us did our own tour. Found the Bear Creek winery. The kids had fun on their swings. Kodiak - It was a sunday and we walked into town. The six year old stayed in the kids club. The brewery was a hit. Sitka- Great weather and a beautiful town. Easy to walk around.

Kids club- My six year old really enjoyed it. My eight year old mostly did.

Pools - The pool on the aft of the ship seemed warmer than the spas. My kids preferred that pool and it was hardly used.

Disembarkation - We were in the third group off and were off of the ship by 8:20. The only issue we had was finding a porter - they were mostly on the RCCL side and were not allowed to come to our side of the terminal due to union rules. That was not HAL's part, but the Port of Seattle.

Publication Date: 06/27/11