Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Gladys146: Taken 10 years but I'm back!

Gladys146
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Taken 10 years but I'm back!

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I have to say that after the "cruise from hell" some 10 years ago, it was with some trepidation that husband and I decided to book another one. We were advised by our Travel Agent to go up a notch from our previous cruise line. We booked originally to go out on the Celebrity Eclipse on the 4th June from Southampton - unfortunately the other half decided to have a very serious heart operation last July and it was decided to cancel this cruise. By the time April came round, husband was fit and well and we were both kicking ourselves for cancelling the cruise. I was in dire need of some serious R&R so we took the bull by the horns and booked on the Solstice departing from Barcelona on the 7th June. We flew to Barcelona from Heathrow the night before and checked in to the Pere IV - very good hotel, seedy area but clean and the food was super.

We took a taxi to the Port and embarkation was smooth and efficient. The ship was wonderful I was overawed at her size and once on board More she was just like a floating luxury resort. Our Stateroom was great - so quiet, it was often hard to believe we were on a ship. The bed had to be the most comfy I have ever slept in and both of us slept wonderfully. The crew were fantastic - nothing was too much trouble, there was always a smile and we were greeted back on board after visiting the Ports with a "Welcome Back". It took me two days to settle back into cruising and after that I was the most relaxed on holiday that I have ever been. Dining in the main dining room was excellent - the food was good and our waiters, attentive and great fun. Entertainments was generally excellent but the singing group left us cold!!! Everything else though was great. Kotor in Montenegro was without doubt the most beautiful place I have ever seen - think Norwegian Fjords with heat! It was lovely.

Suffice to say that we enjoyed it so much, we have immediately booked again for next June. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Vista Deck (8) 9131

Cabin 9131 Great balcony, wonderful 360 degree view. Very quiet. Comfy beds. Nice position in ship - not too far to go to Cafes etc.

Had to be the dustbin of Italy. Awful place. But we went on an excursion to Pompeii which was all I had expected it to be. Wonderful. We did attempt a short walk from the ship into Naples but after coming across some taxi drivers fighting, some mangy dogs, a couple of beggars etc., we didn't bother and turned round back to our air conditioned luxury!
Read 647 Naples Reviews

We didn't go to Rome but chose to wander around Civitavecchia. Those who pass it by to go to Rome are missing a trick. We enjoyed wandering round a normal typical working port, mooched around the market, had a drink in a pavement cafe. It was lovely and we would certainly do this again rather than join the hordes going to Rome.

Lovely place. Very expensive, be warned. Typical South of France. We didn't go on the various excursions as we both know the South of France very well.