Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by digcruising

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by digcruising
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: digcruising
Cruise Date: January 2010
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

After the Three Week Renovation
My wife and I booked with a local tour guide a group cruise and land tour with Royal Caribbean. The cruise portion was on the Radinace of the Seas. We did not know before we boarded that this week was the first week after the three week renovation, and we stayed on deck nine. My wife knew something was wrong because of the slight mold smell and then we saw the air blowers. I did not notice since my sense of smell is very weak.

It was a great cruise. The officers and crew really tried hard to please. Our wait staff in the dining room were EXCELENT! Josie Valenqueze from Peru was the best we have had. Because we were sailing on the Radiance we did not expect A+ food but we got what I considered was at least an A. We ate every night in the Main Diningroom and loved it. I personally enjoyed the shooters every night presented in a different colored glass to keep.

The problems I found were these (you must know we were on deck nine.)

a. There was never any cold water in the sink, but was in our shower.

b. The shower temperature was good but had to be adjusted constantly.

c. There is a mold smell in the hallway but not in our stateroom.

d. Our cabin steward was good but it was his first week on the job, even so he tried very hard to do well.

e. The renovation changes were made to make more revenue for RCCL and not for the happiness of the passengers.

Let be explain E.

RCCL installed a huge screen on the pool deck. It was nice but very few passengers looked at the screen. This was a cruise to Alaska and few people used the outside pool. Plus the sound was turned up so loud you could not talk to someone unless they were right next to you. Even when the NBA finals was on the screen few people stayed very long on the deck. The ship even closed down the pool bar early, it was senseless to keep it open.

RCCL eliminated a large amount of seats at the windjammer buffet to install two pay as you go restaurants. One is a oriental bar/restaurant and the other is a family style Mexican restaurant. There were never enough seats in the buffet. I saw many, many customers taking their breakfast downstairs to eat it in their cabin on their bed. (no room to eat it on the dresser.) It was not a good time there. Plus on top of it all I saw very few folks actually trying out the two restaurants. The idea is that you paid for everything you ordered. From the starters to the deserts after paying five dollars cover charge.

There was installed a new Brazilian Steak Restaurant on the deck 12. It was nice, but again very few passengers used the restaurant. The price was around 30 dollars per person. I was using the walking track after dinner and saw that only two tables were being used on the first night, three tables on the second night, then for the rest of the week the higher up officers were eating at the restaurant and only two or three of the tables were being used by the guests. Why not, if the guests were leaving the tables empty why not have the upper officers use them.

But, other than that the cruise was very very good, and my wife and I have been on many many cruises. They tried really hard to do a good job and we appreciated the effort.

Publication Date: 06/27/11
Read the Alaska ports review by digcruising
More Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews