Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by lulu47

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: lulu47
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: A1
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Class distinction on QM2
Upon arrival of cruise very smooth but once going out of port I should have noticed the change. We were standing on deck l2 to watch view of Statue of Liberty which is the main reason we took this cruise. My Mother and I were asked to leave and several dogs were brought out for "fresh air". About 6 feet of isle was blocked with chairs at each end. We then went down onto deck ll and there was a sign "Queen Suites only". This attitude continued on the entire cruise.

The service was terrible, we were on Britannia dinning room and the "suite" rooms were served on Queen dinning room. The food was awful, I did not enjoy any meal I had there. Two other couples at our table agreed and said they would not return on this cruise line. When I complained nothing was done. In the pub I ordered steak and kidney pie, I received Sheppard's pie. When I brought this to the servers attention, she said I got your order correct and walked away saying she was new. She didn't offer to fix the meal. The fish and chips did not come with tartar sauce, the lamb didn't come with mint sauce and the overcooked lobster tail during formal night didn't come with clarified butter. It seemed that the staff did not know what food went with what. I've cruised many times and have never had such bad food. It was very difficult to navigate on the ship and find the library, Internet cafe, or photo shop. Whenever I did complain I was met with blank stares. My Mother was trying to walk with a cup of tea and cup of coffee but was spilling as she walked, due to her age (8l) and the rocking of the ship. A dinning room steward approached her and said, "Next time get a tray". He did not offer to help.

Our room which was deluxe balcony was very small and had a blocked view. We couldn't see above the metal which was about 4 feet high. The planetarium was beautiful but was a nightmare getting in to see it. You had to get a ticket before 9am and arrive no later than 5 minutes before the show. Both areas were separate. My Mother and I got to the doors when they were open and they were just about to close them when we got there and we were not allowed to go in. There seemed to be a lot of rules and very little service.

I purchased a beverage card and when I went to get a can of coke I was told at the bar on deck l2 that I could have a can but the bartender had to open it for me. Later at a different bar I was told I was only allowed fountain drinks unless it was in the winter garden bar. I went there and was told I wasn't allowed cans ever. I went to the pursers desk and was told only fountain drinks. I wish I had been told these rules before purchasing the card and I wouldn't have bought it. The entertainment was mediocre at best. This experience has put me off cruising.

Publication Date: 06/24/11