Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by sutrotower

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: B2
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        10-12 4.0
        13-15 2.0
        16+ 2.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Good for the ports visited
After reading reviews that were not great on the Sun in the months after dry dock, leading up to our cruise, we were not expecting much. We wanted to see the Baltic capitals that this ship visited and that was our main reason for booking this cruise.

This was our first cruise.

Biggest complaint was whenever we asked the staff at guest reception a question, they did not know the answer and did not do anything to find out and we felt like no one wanted to step up and take responsibility for the answers. They were nice, but we often left knowing no more than before. Second biggest complaint was how NCL handled getting off the ship in St. Petersburg. We went down 20 minutes after the ship had docked and were held at the deck for getting off for almost an hour before being let go. The NCL employees kept telling us, the ship hasn't been cleared yet, but there was no way that could be true. All of us there were on private, non-NCL tours and we later found out that the NCL tours were taken down the crew exit and let off the ship before we were, so they could line up for customs first. It was hot waiting and I really feel unfair. Everyone on our tour got there about the same time, but we left over 1/2 hour late and they had to cut out two things we were supposed to see.

We were in Copenhagen a day early to sight see and took a bus from the Central Copenhagen near the central train station to the first, closer pier. Apparently, the bus doesn't go to Freeport on Saturdays, so the driver let all of us NCL passengers know where we needed to get off and nicely pointed in the direction we were supposed to go. The bus driver was very nice and went out of his way to make sure the many different nationalities there understood how to go. I thought that was above and beyond for what I'm used to in a bus driver.

Check-in was really fast and efficient. Spent about 20 minutes from the point that we got to the tent to the time we were walking onto the ship, maybe slightly less. Once we were on the ship, we were shown the way to the Seven Sea's dining room, where we enjoyed a long leisurely lunch while our room was finished being cleaned. It was nice and very uncrowded.

Room was better than I expected. We had 5 in the room and it didn't feel cramped. There was plenty of storage to stow away all our stuff so that our room stayed organized. People previously on crusie critic commented on the small bathroom, but after some really small bathrooms in London, I didn't think it was as small as those. I also found it functional. Shower head was powerful and hot water seemed to be plenty. Room steward was very good at making up our room when we went to shore or dinner for the towel animals and I found that nice.

Restaurants. Most of all the food I'd rate anywhere from a 3 - 4 on a scale of 5. We ate most dinners in Seven Seas. We had a great waiter the first night and we tried to get him all our nights there. Appetizers in this dining room usually exceeded my expectations and were good enough to want a second night, but that wasn't an option as it was on their special menu for the night. Main meals and desserts tended to be o.k., nothing I thought I'd love to eat this again. My husband sometimes experienced his food coming to him cold as it comes from a main kitchen then is prepped in the dining room. I did not experience this on my dinners. Cafe Garden was a buffet that we did often for breakfast due to convenience. The food was the quality I'd expect at a buffet and did worked fine for our purpose. It was crowded so we sat outside most days. The Outdoor cafe was an afternoon option on the back of the boat, buffet style, that was nice to come back to after shore excursions.

Specialty Restaurants. We at at the Brazilian restaurant and also did the Indian lunch. Both were better than other food on the ship. For me the Indian one was fine one time at $15 a person. The Brazilian restaurant was not very busy and we had excellent service. The food was all enjoyable to eat and since we did it at the end of the cruise, it was a nice change in food choices. It was $20pp.

Shows. Only attended two. We will rock you, which is supposed to be their best, it was o.k. My kids said the good thing about it was that it was only 45 minutes long. The magic show we attended was a pleasant surprise and very entertaining. We enjoyed it a lot.

Overall, we liked this cruise for what we got to see. The 5 ports all had something enjoyable to see & do.

Publication Date: 06/23/11