Wind Surf Cruise Review by Travelbug96: Windstar experience Rome to Venice June 2011

Wind Surf 3

Windstar experience Rome to Venice June 2011

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

This was our first Windstar Cruise. I must say that I have talked to several folks that have sailed with Windstar multiple times and love it. I can't say I'd been in that category. Would I sail with Windstar again, maybe, based on the route and ports of all.

What we liked. The room was very comfortable and there was more than enough room for clothes and toilietries. Our room steward was very polite and took wonderful care of your room and laundry. We got the $99 laundry package for unlimited service. The food was plentiful at breakfast and lunch buffets and the waitstaff was for the most part friendly and most of the time were there to get you whatever you wanted. Diner in the main dining room and Degrees was very nice, but I would have preferred to be seated with some couples rather than the 2 of us by ourselves. That wasn't an option that was presented to us, but on the last night we were asked if we would like to be seated with a gentleman and his daughter and I really More enjoyed that. Guess that we could have asked. The food was very good. One dish I had was so over powered with Thyme that I sent it back. The young couple that sang and played guitar were wonderful very talented and knowledgeable...he is just an encyclopedia of modern music. In general the common areas are kept clean and are well appointed.

What we didn't like. First impression of the hallways was old needing to be updated. The Veranda, restaurant for breakfast and lunch, old needing to be updated. The dinning rooms indoors could stand a bit of updating as well. Ask to be seated away from the kitchen as the noise can be pretty loud. The big lounge entertainment was too loud and imposing. If you want visit with new friends, this is not the place. The main lounge was usually about the temp. of a meat locker!

Don't order lemonade! it is $6.00! and its a lemon juice in sprite. Ask if there is a charge first.

Internet service! OMG can you believe $29.50 for 30 minutes! Your computer or theirs! and it is terribly slow. I little disappointing when it is in the Windstar literature that Wifi is available in your cabin and in the common areas...the missing piece is that you l have to pay dearly.

OUr next door neighbors had cash taken from their cabin on the first day. A safe is provided for valuables. The other unfortunate experience was to watch someones luggage get put on the conveyor but not all the way and plush, it was in the water. No equipment to retrieve it either. One of the dock

workers fished it out. That was one very unhappy passenger.

First day the reception desk personnel was rather curt. It got better.

The hotel manager is a Frenchman, so I was expecting wonderful croissants when I saw them on the breakfast buffet. They are dry and tasteless. I called this to his attention and he replied that he doesn't eat breakfast, but thanks for letting me know. Wonder if he will make any improvements? I'm not filled with confidence!

So in summary most of the cruise was enjoyable but compared to a recent river cruise we took, I'm underwhelmed. Less

Published 06/24/11

Read more Wind Surf cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Wind Surf Review >>

Compare Prices on Wind Surf Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review: A132 Oceanview Stateroom

Cabin 132 on the "cheap floor" was more than adequate. Spacious and very comfortable with a nice bathroom for a ship. Plenty of closet and storage space. 2 little safes. Quiet, once inside we could hear nothing but the Mediterranean. Great view of the water most of the time, above that is.

Read All Oceanview Stateroom (A) Reviews >>

It was a rainy day so you can imagine, but it the little town of Capri is SO crowded, it was not enjoyable.
Read 37 Capri Reviews

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X