Horizon Cruise Review by holavick

Member Name: holavick
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Cancun
Cabin Category: C
See More About: Horizon Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Pullmantur Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Horizon Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Pullmantur-Horizon-stay away!

Not even sure where to begin...guess w/ the biggest irritation. Upon boarding the ship, we noticed it was HOT. Everywhere! We talked to the reception desk and they said they'd send someone to check on it. Not sure if anyone ever did or not but it did seem a bit cooler but not COOL. We sweated getting ready for dinner, we were hot at not, we were hot in the theater, restaurants, etc. Not what you expect on a cruise ship! Finally 5 days into our cruise, the A/C went out completely on the whole ship. (Although I have no proof, I think the A/C was on it's way out the whole time we were aboard and it finally went out on Thur. So from 4am (which is when I woke up not able to breath due to the hot, humid air filling our cabin) until about 8pm we not no A/C and it was a sea day! Figures! The worst part is NO announcements/updates were made the whole day about this problem. They never even issued a sincere apology for the lack of A/C! Not good customer service.

Next complaint, the ship was old and it smelled. We were on the 10th deck and our hall smelled like sewage 95% of the time. We were below the buffet kitchen so that may have been the problem but it's a shame to have to hold your nose on the way to your cabin. (There were other areas that smelled too.)

This cruise is advertised to cater to Spanish speaking people which is why we chose it. I am a Spanish teacher and am always looking for opportunities to practice my Spanish in the summers. My husband does not speak Spanish so when I read that announcements were made in both languages (Eng/Span) and that most crew members spoke Spanish, I figured we'd be fine. What they don't mention is that "most" crew members know a LITTLE English and basically when spoken to or required to communicate in English, they are way out of their comfort zone. Also some announcements are made in both languages...not all. Shows as long as they were musical numbers were fine but comedians don't work when you don't speak Spanish!

This cruise line just doesn't cut it. They aren't what they say they are and they just buy old/used ships from other cruise lines when they don't want them anymore. I have to say the food was good for the most part although breakfast choices didn't vary the whole week (and there's no syrup for pancakes/french toast.)

We found most crew members friendly if approached but for the most part, they seemed to want you to get out of their way so they could work. I couldn't find many reviews on this cruise line or our ship. Not sure why but I figured I owed it to you to tell it like it is. We did get a great price on an oceanview cabin but now we know why. IF you want budget, then go for it. If you are spoiled by the many luxuries of most cruise lines, then stay far away!

Publication Date: 06/23/11