Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by silkyterrier

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by silkyterrier
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: silkyterrier
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 8A

tender info not very tender loving care
EMBARKATION ugh- be prepared to whip out your sail and sign card every 50 feet... even if you are carrying on 3 pieces of luggage the crew member at the end of the gangway will ask to see it again even if you just presented it before getting on a suspended in air non accessable gangway.....

ROOM6255 balcony 4 person room carnival splendor, great steward is louru, (misspelled?) room is tight/adequate for 4 related people-bathroom small but enough counter/shelf space for us,good shower gel and shampoo free in shower, shower does not get cold which we wanted in hot climate in Mexico, we did use the shower in the gym as more of us needed to get clean at once and the gym showers were roomy but not very warm water even waiting for warm a long time.... Noise from splendor theatre and shows was evident/bothersome in this room which is not directly above the theatre, engine noise/vibration of room also evident. balcony-yes in warmer climate- no in colder, did see pods of dolphin/porpoise from room, TV- wish they had a TV guide to see which free movies were offered specifically on which days,and ratings of movies- dining room menu daily is good but TV controller was difficult even for 3 tech experts in room. fridge not very cold, ice provided quickly by steward- take on water and sodas-you will want them. spa/bathrobes provided! nice beach towels, good sheets.

FOOD all good and if you don't like it don't eat it- go get something else or order a different appetiser/entree. the lido ice cream seemed more like frozen yogurt- not as creamy as soft serve. Mongolian crowded but worth it. room service food was OK- its the only place to get potato chips and kids like them.

SHOWS, well we don't like Vegas type, did enjoy the Mexican folklorica dancing show, did like the marriage shows but one of my party was embarrassed by the sex innuendos even tho over 18. didn't do gaming or bingo or shopping shows.

HOT tUBS- yes crowded, yes you need the heat the first 2 days out to Mexico and 2 days back.

GETTING to ports- the crewmembers explaining the CABO tender procedure lied to me, maybe inadvertently/ignorantly, but ended up very inconvenient for shore excursions. I arrived early enough in line to get a number 11 tender ticket but was told i would have to disembark at exactly the time my number was called or my tender would leave(untrue)- as my party was not yet awake i asked how long it takes to get off the ship and was told 40 minutes, this also was not accurate info(any number can leave after first being called). i was told i could come back and get tender tickets for later as my shore excursion was at noon shore time and i would have plenty of time to get there even with the ship time difference, this was not true. I went and got some coffee and returned to get tender tickets #27 my party and i waited until 1145am and our tender# was not close to being called and we were going to miss our excursion, after being in line at the service desk the courtesy desk made an exception and got us off the ship in the handicapped line, but not until noon and our excursion boat had already left port....i was so mad at the ship tenders staff because i had already paid $240.00 for this excursion- i was fuming i thought my money was long gone and wasted....luckily i had very understanding staff at PEZ Gato who rebooked me and rescheduled my excursion time to mesh with the ships leaving port for the next day for the same prepayment. I had also planned but not booked a horseback ride the second day in cabo, the pezgato representative Victor on shore was able to book me last minute on my first Cabo day for a 2 hour beach ride for $50.00 each, this ride ended up to be the highlight of my families vacation. the second Cabo day i was in line for tender #10 and ended up not needing the number as no one wanted off the ship the second day- freaky. Heard from others on board of a shipmate being injured by live tiger cubs offered for a picture opportunity(yes its at their own risk and tigers are dangerous even babies), a shipmate had her money stolen while snorkeling( next time get a waterproof wallet to wear in the water maybe), two shipmates either over charged or cheated about jet-skis being "broken or scratched" upon return to rental place. pictures of the jetskis taken before the rental would prove it but who does that? the usual constant hawking of trips and wares once on shore- they do expect you to haggle and bargain-please do it.walk away if they wont bargain and they will follow you offering less and less....

PuertoVAllarta- walk off the ship easy- on time no problem- remember the ship time is different than shore time, did the los veranos canopy ziplines-fun, the yellow taxis are the best- driver spoke English fine, bus to zipline was fine- impressed by the incongruity of beauty and poverty in the same place.

MUSIC onboard- too loud no matter where it was. a variety was offered.

Publication Date: 06/21/11