Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by toothpunk

3-6 3.0
        10-12 3.0
        13-15 3.0

Disappointing Experience
We were travelling with three kids so comfort was important to us. We stayed in two connecting mid-ship balcony staterooms on the ninth deck. The size of the rooms were small and the balcony was a poor excuse of a balcony. I should have just booked the inside cabins and save myself a few thousand dollars. I have cruised six times and I must say that Spirit rooms are the smallest that I have seen. I do like their shower though. There was a sliding door instead of the curtain.

We booked our excursions upon arrival onto the ship. The excursion booking staffs were great. No problems there at all. If anything, they met and exceeded our expectations when it came to changing our excursions around to accomodate the needs to two teenagers and a toddler.

The ports of call were fun. My three kids loved the private beach clubs and the Tulum beach at the Tulum Mayan Ruins. No problems there with the exception of Belize. My wife and the two teenagers went off to zip lining and I took my four year old to the Mayan ruins and city tour. The two tour guides left us at the end of the tour a block away from the pier and said they will be there when we are done with our complimentary drinks. Well, I came out with my four year old and no signs of tour guides. Bad thing was that they never told us where to go to get back to the pier. I asked somebody from that restaurant and walked back. I think the tour guides dropped us off there at the restaurant because they got paid by the restaurant. People were eating there so that must be the case. My wife's excursion brought them back to the pier. Kind of dangerous to be left in Belize City to walk around. After you see Belize City, you will know why.

This is probably the worst restaurant experience I had though in all six cruises. First, quality and selection of food at Windows were poor. Other writers mentioned lobster. I didn't see lobster at all at Windows in the three times I ate there. Food was also very salty. Shrimp cocktail was a joke because the shrimps were baby shrimps. The volume of shrimps combined is probably equivalent to one shrimp if compared to Celebrity. Restaurant staffs were clueless or don't care. At Blue Lagoon, we got different responses from different servers. One server said it was ok to order and take back to our room. Another one said that the other server was wrong and he will have it deliver. Another server said that I have to call it into room service to order. WTH? Make up your mind and make up your rules. Buffet was fine, but some of the food was kind of salty. Coming back to Windows, I can't get over it. My son really liked the fruit salad they had one night, and we had to order two additonal ones for him. He didn't eat anything at all except the fruit salad. We asked the server and she brought it to him which was fine the first time, but the second time, her attitude was like "what else do you want?" Poor attitude!!

Shows were great, my two teenagers loved it!! The bald headed beverage waiter was great too. We saw him at the airport as he was going home for two months before going back to New Orleans for Spirit again. My son left his teddy dog in the show and he tracked us down to give it back to us. Bless him!

Stateroom attendant was great. Made additional towel animals for my kids.

Biggest complaint was the flea bites we got on the ship!! It wasn't in Roatan or Belize, but from the ship!!!! Disgusting. I guess fleas went aboard after Roatan. The staff denied flea attacks but me and my wife had probably 30 flea bites each. I still have some reminants of it in scar tissue form. I can smell flea killers outsife of my stateroom after I complaint to our attendant. That solved the problem but I was so etchy after Roatan!!!

I think some staf go out of their ways to make vacation great but majority don't care as they are going to get their tip anyways.

I made my feedback to NCL by email and never heard from them. They probably just don't care. I think I am going back to Celebrity or Carnival. Geez, evern Royal Carribeans is looking pretty solid comparing to NCL.

Publication Date: 06/20/11