Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by wpj62

Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: OG
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Our Baltic adventure
We were attracted to the Baltic cruise because it offered a lot of great cities to visit with the convenience of ship travel.

Copenhagen is the easiest to get around European city we've visited. The train from the airport to the central station was direct and the station very centrally located. After we settled into our room - Hotel Nebo - we were able to navigate the city without too much difficulty. Tivoli Garden found us quickly and we soon caught the long running pantomime show. We enjoyed the ground and had coffee/tea and a good meal. We made reservations at a nouveau cuisine restaurant at the hotel Nimb on the grounds for the date of our return.

The next morning we had plenty of time to take in a more extensive walking tour of the city. We arrived at dockside later than most, avoiding the crowd. The ship was clean but not ornate. The service was adequate without being overbearing and shy of excellent.

The table wait staff was similar. The food was good but I would have enjoyed more spice. Some of the buffets were better than that served at the large dining room. I did expect more from the "speciality" smaller dining rooms although the service was at a higher level.

The shows/reviews/entertainment was good - short of special.

I did have an encounter with the ship's medical office. It was regimented and impersonal. The treatment was formulaic from ten year old CDC recommendations. I was not impressed. No, I'm not a good patient.

My first cruise ship experience was decades ago with Disney's Big Red Boat. (I wonder if it is still afloat.) I remember the food and service as extraordinary then. This was NOT the same. I remember tipping but no service charges like on this trip. That SO MUCH was an extra charge - with an included service charge on each purchase - and so much hawking and marketing their stuff was a surprise to me.

So there were not many quiet areas to retire to.

Our return visit to Copenhagen was just as much fun as the first. We found a tourist map that laid out a walking route that went beyond the Little Mermaid. It included some out of the way places and went around some of the pedestrian bottlenecks. That evening we splurged on the Brassiere at the Hotel Nebo and now we can recommend to all.

Publication Date: 06/20/11