Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by reygato

Cabin Category: K
        7-9 5.0
        10-12 4.0

Second Time on Majesty of the Seas
The Majesty of the Seas sails out of Miami every Monday and Friday for a Nassau/Coco Cay excursion with a stop in key West added on Thursdays. Cruise guests can choose a Weekend or weekday cruise. having done the weekend cruise, I opted for the Weekday cruise. While we had a great time, it went by way too fast and while I will do the weekend getaway on Friday to Monday again, I will probably opt for a 7 day cruise next time I am looking to fill an entire week.

That being said, we also traveled with children and were not sure if they could adapt to a week long cruise. Based on the activities at the kid's camp, this should not have been a concern. They both had so much fun that the older one opted to stay on-board at the stop in Key West and avoid the heat by hanging out in the camp while the rest of us went ashore. The cruise line was aware of this and allowed for it.

We arrived at Port of Miami on Monday around 1 PM, having parked off site and taken a van in. We got through security quickly and got our sail cards and were on board the ship by 140 PM

Food was readily available, as were alcoholic beverages.

We ate lunch in the Windjammer Cafe on Deck 11 and it was very crowded. We found plenty of empty tables one level up near the Pizzeria. The food was fresh and slightly better than what we have found on other cruiselines in regards to selection and variety. Particulary good was the salad bar, with a good variety of items.

The Mandatory life boat drill, my least favorite part of any cruise, was very short and to the point. We were dismissed in plenty of time to watch the sail out past South beach(also in the rain)

We ate in the Moonlight dining hall the first night, had shrimp appetizers and prime rib. The prime rib was not the best I have had, but it was OK. Royal Caribbean meals in the dining rooms are not the best in the industry; if RCCL has a weak point, it is meals. But it is still good.

For evening entertainment, we let the kids go to camp and we visited the various bars and clubs on board. After retrieving the kids and calling it a night, we awoke to a room service breakfast of pastries and coffee. Eating in the room was difficult. There are two twin beds and two Pullman beds and next to no space around them. Perhaps this inspired us to spend as little time as possible in the room .

We arrived early in Nassau, went into town by 10 AM and already noticed that the place was even hotter and more humid than Florida, if that is possible. This was about my 4th trip to Nassau, so we opted for a horse-drawn carriage ride through town. Cost with tip $50 for 4 people. Enjoyed getting a tour and hearing some history about the town. We wandered down The street, bought several rum cakes to take home, went inside and saw the Christ Cathedral Church, very beautiful. Returned to the ship as the heat was affecting our oldest son. Ate Pizza and Sandwiches from the Deli located on deck 11. There was no line, although we had to wait for the pizza to be cooked.

The Pizza was OK, the sandwich was very tasty.

My youngest son and I went to the pool and had little company there. My oldest son and the wife went to the room and napped.

Around 3 PM my youngest and I went back into Nassau, I had a beer while we searched out a beaded necklace that my son wanted to take home as a souvenir. Along the way he decided to try a can of grape juice (not liking the pineapple Goombay punch which are sold at every store in Nassau) On reading the label, I saw why he liked the grape juice: it has 57 Grams of sugar !!!

We went back to the ship, changed into our nice clothes for the formal night of dining.

Wednesday we went to Coco Cay, again we had been there before, it is a great place to relax for a day and do nothing. Even with SPF 50 Sunscreen I got burned.

Particularly good was the band which had come over from the ship to play during lunch. Average was the Blackbeard's Barbecue. Beer was limited, Corona is widely served as is a few domestic brands.

Back on the ship, Guinness is widely served, but the pool bar stocks the cans while the dining hall and casino bar stocks the foreign import which is a more authentic stout beer.

The Man at the Pool Bar remembered my name and my preferences from the first day I was on there. I sought him out the last day and handed him an envelope with some cash. Tips are included in the drink when you buy it, but I found out that all the tip money generated from the servers at the pool bar for example is split amongst them. If you tip a person individually, then they get to keep all that you give them.

On QWednesday night we decided to skip the Moonlight Dining Hall (as we had not had any outstanding meal anyway) and Opted for Johnny Rockets. There is an additional fee of $5 per guest but it was wroth it. The milkshakes alone are worth the visit, and the hamburgers are fresher and biggerthan the one's on the Windjammer Cafe.

There are some great bands and musicians onboard. There was also a Comic Magician named Michael James who tours around cruise ships and just happened to be on Majesty of the Seas with us. His show was Hilarious ! I am so glad we got to see him.

On Thursday we arrived in Key West to find another hot humid day. After breakfast we went up to the sports deck to play basketball and ping pong. That is when our son decided he did not want to go to Key West and opted for camp instead.

I was happy that the cruise line allowed him to remain on board while we were off the ship.

We toured the Hemingway House. It is about an 8 block walk from the ship. It is worth it. For lunch we ate the the Six-Toed Cafe, expensive like everything else in Key West but good.

On returning to the ship, we watched some people setting up to go on a See-Do tour and decided to do that next time.

In all we had a great time, but it went by so quickly.

Majesty of the Seas is a great ship for people who enjoy quiet and who are traveling with families. It is not a loud drunken party boat like Carnival, and there are not wall to wall parties or drunks everywhere you turn. They are not constantly advertising drink specials or silly events (Although we played 80's trivia and voted on the belly flop contest)

It is a more sedate ship with multiple quiet areas to sit and relax.

The staff is friendly and efficient. We rarely saw our room steward but the room was always cleaned, towel animals set out, and everything was just as it should be.

We had a great waiter at dinner who made sure we were happy. We found people all over the ship to be friendly and helpful and will do this excursion again, but probably for the weekend.

Publication Date: 06/20/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by reygato
More Majesty of the Seas Cruise Reviews