Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Just Jo

Member Name: Just Jo
Cruise Date: May 2011
Cabin Category: D7

Great cruise!
DH and I traveled with his best friend and his wife. We are all late 30's - early 40's. They sailed on the Oasis for their honeymoon last year, and they enjoyed her so much they couldn't wait to get on her again or the Allure. DH and I were hesitant about being on such a large ship, but we finally caved and agreed to go. Great decision!

Stateroom

We were in room a D7 balcony, 9318, port, 6 cabins from last aft. This is our usual preference of cabin type, and it was no different than expected.

Our stateroom attendant was Bobby (from the Philippines?). He was very nice and polite, and of my last three cruises that I remember vividly he was the most quiet.

We had robes in our closet, chocolates each night on our pillows, fresh ice every morning, and a towel animal on three nights. We loved the large (ish) table on the balcony.

The tv had more channels available than we expected. Oh, DH luggage was never delivered to our room on embarkation day. Bobby said he finally saw "our" luggage as we were leaving for dinner just before 7:00 (?!!) which was fine, as we didn't need anything from them. And when we got back to the room around 10:30 mine was in the room and DH's was not. He called to the front desk and was told he had to pick it up from deck 2 or 3? Turns out his CPAP caused some concern. We had put locks on our luggage. Neither of us even thought for him to take the keys with him. When he got there they asked him to unlock it and he declined as he didn't have the keys and they released it to him with his explanation. He was not a happy camper, as it was late, it had been a LONG day.

We all love to try the specialty restaurants and this trip was no exception.

Izumi

Terrific! We ate here our first night, booking as soon as we got on board. Our server was Amelia (Philippines) and she was awesome! She was efficient and fun and our friends set up a birthday (DH & I are May) and anniversary (Oct. !?) surprise with candles and the obligatory HB song as well as a Happy Anniversary song! We tried the sake, hot and cold, and all of the food, soup, dumplings, sushi, hot rock was fabulous and fun and delicious!

Park Cafe

We ate here on embarkation day (thanks CC!), and timed it well enough we found a table fairly quickly. It was getting quite crowded. Also on the last day for lunch, much more crowded, and had to stalk a table. That's always a little uncomfortable. Wonderful roast beef sandwiches! The potato and leek soup was yummy and the salads were great!

Johnny Rockets

Tried this for breakfast and lunch. Not as much selection for breakfast as I imagined, and was still tasty. Lunch was the usual fare with good burgers and shakes and malts.

Chops

This was also booked immediately after embarkation. DH & I are quite the carnivores, and we had such a wonderful experience last time that I was quite adamant we needed to eat here again. The food was terrific, but the service was lacking.

Rita's Cantina & Rita's Fiesta

We had this place almost to ourselves on a rainy port afternoon after we returned to the ship. The taco salads, shrimp flautas, chicken cigars, and quesadillas were pretty good.

Rita's Fiesta had some of the same food, the flautas, cigars, and quesadillas, along with steak (&chicken?) fajitas. The dessert platter was HUGE!! Seriously, what a waste of food! The flan, churros, and banana burritos were good though, just too much!

Hot dog stand

Great! Nice selection of dogs, buns, and toppings and condiments. No chili available here though (see Wipeout Cafe).

Ice Cream Parlor

Also great! We had super-large banana splits, and how can you go wrong with that?

Vintages

I couldn't wait to try this place! The iPad was fun to order from, kind of. It wasn't super user friendly, as the item names on the menu didn't exactly correspond to the iPad so we had to have the waiter look up a few things for us. Tasty tapas and wine! So glad we took the time to visit!

150 Central Park

Our waiter was Nickolay, "Nick" from Serbia, and he was the perfect blend of professional, efficient, funny, caring but not cloying. The food and presentations were phenomenal, although the dessert was a little disappointing.

Sorrento's

Great pizza for when were tipsy or tired or both! I had the pre-made, as well as made to order which had a thicker crust and was so filling I don't think I finished it.

Promenade Cafe

The ham and cheese croissants and the roast beef sandwiches were very good, and they had several desserts to choose from.

Main Dining Room

We had MTD, and only ate in the MDR on the last night. Probably not the best night to pick. We were moderately disappointed with the food. Kind of bland. I thought the service was great though!

Room Service

Sadly, we only ordered room service once, for breakfast. It was ordered just after 8:00, promised in 30 minutes, and arrived just under. The hot food was still very hot, and the coffee wasn't bad. I wish we had had the time to order RS more often.

Cupcake Cupboard

Cute place. I bought three flavors and was disappointed. To me, there was a little flavor in the icing, but not so much in the cake.

Giovanni's Table

We ate here for lunch, and had Mario from Rome as our server. The food was fantastic! We had a wonderful appetizer of fried veggies and grouper; entrees were lasagna, milk-fed veal meatballs, shrimp (guess who, lol) and the chicken. Desserts were tiramisu, cannoli (regular cream and chocolate) and berries anglaise. Delicious!!

Side notes: On any previous ships and sailings, for dining venues, my first thought is "get me next to a window!". Not once on the Allure did I ever think that! I think Izumi was the only venue where I did have a water view, and possibly because of all the light from Central Park and Boardwalk you never felt that cave feeling of other traditional ships, and at times I did forget I was on a cruise ship!

Chicago

I thought this was a good production, based on my experiences. However, I don't think I'll book a show again on the first night because I was sooo sleepy.

Blue Planet

Didn't really know what to expect (one of the very few things I did not youtube about this cruise!) and enjoyed it.

Oceanaria

Another thumbs up. We got lucky, with our friends knowing the best seats from which to watch the show, and getting there plenty early to get them. Very nice!

Ports of Call:

Labadee, Haiti

All of us did the Dragon's Breath Flight Line. Wow! It was awesome! I highly recommend taking a camera for some amazing views before, during, and after your ride!

The buffet lunch was nice. BBQ ribs, jerk chicken, couple types of salad, corn on the cob, coleslaw, muffins, brownies, cookies, lots of fruit. It was perfect sitting under the pavilion, watching the water and other zipliners with the weather being so nice.

Falmouth, Jamaica

We did Dunns River Falls and Aerial Explorer, with a last minute addition of the Bobsled at our friends' suggestion. The bobsled was alot more fun than I expected, and DRF was alot tougher than I expected!

Didn't get to peruse the shops in port. It will be a beautiful area when it's finished.

Cozumel, Mexico

We've been here many times, and like to visit Carlos N Charlie's and Senor Frog's.

Final thoughts

I, like alot of people, was hesitant to go on this behemoth because of the crowds. And now I'm a believer of the excellent way RCCI designs this class, and the way they disperse people and events so that you rarely feel like there's 5000-6000 on board with you. I think during formal night pictures and the parade (which we didn't stay for for that reason, but encountered, lining up 60 minutes before start time!) were the only times I felt crowded.

We walked off the ship on Sunday right around 6:15am. I don't love leaving the last day that early, however, you can't argue with being in your car less than 10 minutes later, and being at home by 9:30 before some of your cruisemates are even off the ship!!

Publication Date: 06/20/11