Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by CapnJackVA: 9 night Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore, MD

CapnJackVA
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

9 night Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore, MD

Sail Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Baltimore

My wife, daughter and I booked the 9 night cruise out of Baltimore, MD, sailing on June 2. This is my daughter and my 10th cruise, and my wife's 11th. This is the second cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas for my wife and daughter.

We drove to the Baltimore cruise port from home, arriving around 11 AM for a 1 PM scheduled embarkation time. Bag drop off and parking was a breeze (parking was $135). Check in was efficient and staffed with friendly personnel. Signs said embarkation would begin at 11:30, and actually started a few minutes early. We were on board the ship well less than an hour of arriving at the pier.

Once aboard we had to wait until 1 PM to get to our cabin, so up to the Windjammer for lunch. While the buffet seems small, especially for a 2700 passenger ship (we had about 2500 on board this trip), there was a nice variety of food. The wait staff greeted all as if we were guests at their home.

We were booked in an outside cabin on Deck 2. It is More pretty small, especially for three people - my wife, our college-age daughter, and myself. There is only one large closest and not much drawer space. I don't know how four occupants could unpack 9 days of clothing without having to live out of your suitcase.

Our cabin steward, Brown, was very friendly, but there were some things that weren't set up correctly, like only towels for two rather than three.

Food service is good. In the main dining room our waiter, Indra is very friendly and greets us warmly every meal. Everyone's selections for dinner were judged "Excellent Choices!" Our head waiter Petar also visited the table at least once every night checking on the meal and everyone's satisfaction. This is a departure from the cruise line we travel on most often, where the only time you see the

maitre d' is on the last night of the cruise to collect his tips. The food itself is okay, not fantastic. Size portions were reasonable.

We would hit the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. There is a good variety of food, but the seating area is pretty small for a ship of this capacity.

Unlike we experience on other cruise ships, there isn't any gross saving of pool chairs throughout the day. It could be because you have to check out towels, and you're charged $20 for every towel you fail to return by the end of the cruise. There are signs throughout the pool deck warning that seats cannot be reserved for more than 30 minutes, otherwise the possessions will be removed and left at the towel stand.

The Enchantment is showing some age (but who isn't). You can see little signs of wear and tear in many of the public areas, whether it's a ragged edge of a curtain, plastic glassware from the Windjammer with cracks, or torn cabin towels.

On-board entertainment was good. There were good lines of sight in the Orpheum theater. There were other fun activities spaced throughout the day, but at times the Spotlight Lounge (in the stern of the ship) was too small to accomodate all who wanted to attend.

Our biggest disappointment on the ship was our visit to Chopps Grille. The sides and desserts are FANTASTIC. My steak was done perfectly, but my wife's and daughter's petite-sized steaks were overdone. The maitre d' offered to have new steaks cooked for them, but 15 minutes had passed before anyone came to check on our dinner, so both my wife and daughter declined. We were given free champagne that evening, and an order of yummy chocolate-dipped strawberries were delivered to our room the next morning to make up for the gaffe.

Debarkation was slower than anticipated. It is pretty well organized, but our group left the ship about 30-45 minutes later than anticipated. Once we were off the ship and into the terminal the picking up of luggage and getting to the car was simple. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 2080

The cabin is okay for two, small for three, and I don't know how you'd manage with four (there are twin beds we had set up as a double bed, plus two pullman beds stored in the ceiling). There is only one closet, and very little drawer space. If it wasn't for the large cabinet where a refrigerator had been that I used to store some of my clothing, I don't thing I could have unpacked all of our clothing for a 9 day cruise. On the positive side, since the room is mid-ship on deck 2, it was very stable, even when we experienced a 4-8 foot sea state. The room barely moved.

Since we had been to San Juan before, we didn't schedule an excursion, but rather got into a taxi where the driver took us around the sites and then walked around Old City. We arrived into port at 3 PM with an 11:30 PM departure time. The tour lasted about 1-1/2 hours and took us to several of the typical sites, with a few stops along the way for photographs. It was a cloudy day, threatening to rain the entire time we were there, so we did not venture far from the ship. My wife was scheduled to take a tree-top forest tour, but that was cancelled due to the poor weather.

We enjoy visiting San Juan, especially the Old City area.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

St Thomas is another port we've frequented, so we took a catamaran over to St John for snorkeling (the ship advertised it as the Champagne Cat). The young crew operating the boat were very friendly and helpful, and we had a wonderful time swimming around off Honeymoon Beach. Our daughter and other passengers didn't want to snorkel, so the crew ferried them to the beach to catch some sun using the cat's dingy. After we all returned onto the boat we had a light lunch and unlimited beer, rum punch, and soft drinks (I don't think champagne was offered). Definitely recommend this excursion!

We also shopped in the stores at the pier, where we got our liquor for home. It's duty free, but since we were in the US VI, you can bring more back home than in foreign ports.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews