Noordam Cruise Review by jmwpga

Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: MM
See More About: Noordam Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Noordam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Noordam Deck Plans
Perfect Itinerary
The Noordam is a much larger ship (2,000+/- passengers v. 1,200-1,500)than I'm used to but is certainly not of the mega variety which I avoid like the plague. At times, it did seem a little too big but it did not detract from the legendary, friendly and efficient service.Nothing ever seems crowded except one day when it seemed the entire boat was taking one of the land tours in Tunisia and there was a long line to disembark. I myself even took a ship excursion that day because I believed I could not navigate the city efficiently.

We had been staying in Rome pre-cruise so we got to the port before noon. The embarkation was seamless and our luggage was delivered to the room within 1 1/2 hours.

The ports on this cruise were absolutely the best and included Cannes, Palermo, Barcelona, Tunisia, Athens, Santorini, Turkey, Dubrovnik and a few other smaller ports.

All-in-all, with the exception of the toilets in our part of the ship not operating on 3 different occasions, the trip, the dining, the service, the entertainment and other things to do were very satisfactory.

My only unsatisfactory experience was in the Pinnacle Grill, for which you normally pay $20 per head but one night on this trip was $39 per head because of a supposed "Le Cirque Restaurant" extravaganza. The Pinnacle Grill on this ship is far larger than the smaller ships and decidedly less intimate and elegant than I have experienced on other ships. Maybe it was a bad night for the restaurant but the entire night was poor from the greeting to the menu with little choice to the inexperienced wine to the lacking Le Cirque experience. I spoke to the front office after the meal and the representative instantly made it right.

Publication Date: 06/19/11