Crown Princess Cruise Review by SunshineGram: Decline in Service & Substance aboard Princess Cruise Lines

SunshineGram
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

Decline in Service & Substance aboard Princess Cruise Lines

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western

My best friend and I just returned on June 10, 2011 from a 15 day Transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton; continuing for another 12 days around the British Isles. Upon returning to Southampton, we boarded the Queen Mary II for the return trip to the U.S.

With few exceptions, the trip was a complete disappointment. From the over all service in every department, to the TSA tactics of the ships security detail when dealing with returning guest passengers; the majority of them affluent, seasoned travelers and over 55 years old. Each time we were made to feel like criminals smuggling drugs. Absurd! No one every greeted us upon our return from shore.

The shows were boring and lackluster, not to mention repeat performances from past cruises. Activities from Bingo to Trivia were disorganized; we moved rooms on 3 separate occasions because the venue was too small. "Games" typical of Carnival Caribbean cruises geared for the under 30 crowds were an More embarrassing part of the very public Piazza programs. Watching 60 year old couples "bouncing" on balloons positioned on their partners lap, was disgusting!

As an Elite Member, I am entitled to free dry cleaning. Of the 5 things I sent to the cleaners, one suit was lost completely and one brand new $200 jacket was washed - not dry cleaned and subsequently ruined. I won't go into the fiasco that followed.

Travelers who have the time and discretionary income to travel first class transatlantic are usually seasoned cruisers. We can spend our money on a myriad of vacation options available these days, not just cruises. Princess staff appears younger and less experienced without guidance from senior staff, who.... know better.

I didn't feel valued as a loyal Elite passenger on the last 3 trips with Princess and after this recent trip aboard the Crown which will be my last - I hope to find a new cruise line who does value my business and respect me as a passenger. Shame on Carnival... their corporate philosophy is even seeping onto the Cunard Line. It is sad. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin D412

Still the worst embarkation port in the world! And they should know how to do it by now!

Be prepared to wait. In the wrong line. For a long time. To be ignored and insulted.

The Cruise Staff onboard the Crown Princess for this 27 day cruise were appalling.

Unorganized, uninformed and inexperienced.

We paid over $240 to go the the Tulip Fesitval in Rotterdam. When we got there all the tulips had been cut down. Princess offered no explanation or refund.

In Dublin, on a trip to Powerscourt Estate including the "Waterfall", when we inquried at the tour desk if the Waterfall was on the Estate Grounds - the tour desk employees - 3 of them - said "I don't know" and when asked if they would find out and call us with the answer, they said sure. They never did call us.

This was repeated on almost every trip. It is a testimony as to why so many folks we know book their trips via Cruise Critic, American Express or just on their own. Can't blame them.