Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by cmd128

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: cmd128
Cruise Date: January 2005
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean
My husband & I were so excited about cruising on the QM2 but shortly after our arrival at Port Everglades that excitement disappeared because we had to wait online for 2 hours to board her. There is no excuse for this. Luckily the weather was lovely but imagine standing in the South Florida heat for that long. People would be dropping left & right.

As we boarded we were shocked that all this young man did was point us to an elevator. No one escorted us to our cabin. One thing we did notice was that the Grand Lobby was not all that large. Our cabin was nothing special. Sure it was clean & the decor was pleasing but that was about it. The bathroom was exceptionally small. Since we were on Deck 4 our balcony was a cut out of the hull. Why bother! Not much of a view!

The layout was a bit odd, I thought. There was a lot of "can't get there from here" areas. We snuck thru the Britannia restaurant quite a bit. We'd just wave our hands & say "Sorry, we're lost." lol. The food was OK, again nothing special or outstanding, sad to say. Our server was not all that friendly. Also, on several nights meals were mixed up. Room Service also never got it right. I ordered skimmed milk every morning & never got it. The Kings Court had a poor layout & after spending all that money you end up standing on long lines carrying a tray. Pitiful!

Although the daily schedule looked like there was a lot to do, most was pretty boring stuff. Like knitting, napkin folding or scarf folding (bring your own scarf). The pools were pretty small compared to other cruise lines I have been on. The Spa was a good experience. I got a facial & the girl never once tried to sell me anything. Something that really irks me on other liners.

I didn't feel that the staff went over & above at any point. Some were downright rude. My other gripe is the lack of handicap restrooms. In the States all restrooms have at least one handicap stall but on the QM2 they are in another area, makes no sense. My daughter pointed out that there are also no changing tables anywhere. She had to change her baby on the floor. Maybe they don't like babies on the ship.

The ship did rock & roll quite a bit despite having 2 stabilizers. I personally never got sick but my hubby wore a patch.

We had a much better time on the Caribbean Princess in July. Don't get me wrong we did have fun but it was because we had family & friends with us. I was very disappointed in the QM2, she just didn't live up to all the hype. Sort of like a beautiful woman who is brainless, the looks only go so far, lol.

The disembarkation was painless, thank goodness. :-)

I wouldn't recommend the QM2 to anyone, sorry.

Publication Date: 02/09/05