Carnival Valor Cruise Review by nado

Member Name: nado
Cruise Date: June 2011
Cabin Category: 8C

Just Returned from Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Valor
We sailed on the Carnival Valor to the Eastern Caribbean on June 5-12th, 2011. The ship is an average size ship. We sailed with our son age 24 and our daughter age 28. My husband and I (age 58 and 56) had a balcony cabin and our son and daughter shared an inside cabin across the hall. We had a great time. The service by our room steward Joseph was excellent. We ate in the upper level of the main dining room which is in the back of the ship each night. The food was very good and consistent. I was able to order food to my specifications and I did not gain any weight while on the cruise! The head waiter and waiter were excellent and knew what we liked to eat and drink and had it ready before we arrived each evening.

The two things that I would have changed was that the people next to us smoked on their balcony very often and it was overwhelming if we were on our balcony at the same time. The other was that we would have enjoyed meeting people at dinner but were seated at a table just for the four of use so we were unable to mingle with people on the ship.

The ports that we visited were average. We had a good time at their private island the first day out, St. Thomas was overrated and did not offer much to do or see (compared to what we have all heard about it); Puerto Rico was really fun and I would recommend going on an excursion or grabbing the free trolley that takes you all the way to the fort (it costs $3 to tour the fort) and the free trolley picks you up and takes you back to the ship. There is an average amount of walking. The final stop was at Grand Turk. It is still being rebuilt from the hurricanes but it is a lovely and quaint. There is not much to do but has a beautiful beach and a few bars and restaurants to "hang out" in right off the ship.

We had good weather, the boat was pretty calm. I did not feel seasick which was a first! There are probably more trendy ports and things to do on other sailings however, it was fun, the ship and crew were very nice, and the ports were good if you liked the beach (which we do) and just "hanging out". For our family and our needs we had a great time.

Publication Date: 06/19/11