Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Suzq3: Family 'break'

Suzq3
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Family 'break'

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I travelled with my DH, DS aged 14, and DD's aged 5 & 3.

I will try and make this quick the positives first -

* Embarkation was fast and smooth.

* Food ok for first 4 days

* Room big, two washrooms a bonus.

* Outdoor screen showing movies was great with blankets and free popcorn.

Now for the not so positives

* DO NOT pick 1443 or 1447!!-I'd say most rooms on deck one are near enough the same noise wise. We were woken up every night from 4-6 am with room shaking vibrations. These vibrations were enough to wake up my very heavy sleeping husband and of course the rest of us who were then kept awake all morning. Missed going ashore at most ports as we were usually all exhausted.

* The room service menu is very limited and the quality of food is awful.

* The food all over the ship was made with cheap ingredients. MDR was ok, I only went a few times was difficult to keep the little ones occupied. Lido and More room service, leftovers were obviously used over and over again. I overheard one of the cooks saying 'absolutely nothing is wasted'..The 'free' coffee was so weak, I had to get my caffeine fix from one of the rip off cafes - set me back nearly $5 a go.

* The kids club, looks great but did not deliver. Most of the crew here were not bothered making an effort with the welcoming or entertaining the kids. They have a great schedule with activities lined out- most of these did not happen. They had scheduled teddy making and other activities which all came with a very hefty charge. My two girls attended for an hour three times. On the third time I went to check them and saw my 3 yr old crying with no one doing anything to help her. When I asked why she was crying I was met with a blunt 'she only started crying now'. She was sobbing with tears were rolling down her little face. Later on, I gave my 'camp cell phone' back and told them we would not be returning. My 14yr old was not into his club and spend his days at the pool (tiny pools) with us or watching in-room movies(had to pay over $10 each)

* Cheap interiors, plastic everywhere. Charged for everything half way decent. You get what you pay for. HAL outshone by a thousand miles Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Riviera 1443

Way too noisy. No sleep from 4-6am onwards sometimes earlier. The whole room shakes and everything in it. We were in 1443 and 1447. The design was very good, great ocean view, two bathrooms, comfy bed good sofa converted to small single-I could not sleep on this as it vibrated every 20 seconds all night long so we all ended up in the king (Myself and DD,s aged 3&5), slept sound till the dreaded room shaking vibrations began..TV with limited channels.