MSC Musica Cruise Review by cali-coco

Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 6
See More About: MSC Musica Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Musica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Musica Deck Plans
Blech.... Not worth your time or money
I am fairly confident that I, too, traveled with the same group as CarolinaGirl (just at a different time) as my mother won the trip through her business as well. Personally, if we had paid for the cruise, I would be fighting mad. The ship itself is in fair condition (it should be for only being 5 years old) but the staterooms are small and the furnishings are not at all comfortable-- rock hard beds, lifeless pillows, stained/torn towels and robes, tv rarely worked, etc, etc. I truly don't have much of anything good to say about the cruise- this is easily the worst of 7 cruises that I've taken.

The ports were fairly interesting and I would recommend going on excursions in most places. The last 3 days were actually our favorite with Mykonos, Corfu and Dubrovnik. The history of the ports is truly amazing and is something that we miss out on being in the US.

The other guests are truly what made this trip miserable. Being American, I have a certain amount of respect for other's personal space.... not so true in other cultures. The guests are from all over, and as you've seen in other reviews, most all messages were repeated in 4-5 different languages (which gets pretty old after a while). For some reason the older generations are the most pushy and not afraid to jump in front of you in line, at the buffet or even in the restroom. The crew truly moves like a bunch of robots and have next to zero interest in actually serving you... after speaking with one of the employees he said they work 11 hours/day for 9 months straight. No vacation days will probably do that to a person.

The food wasn't even mediocre. The menu is really catered to the European style and our entire group from the US was not impressed and actually started to complain about the tasteless and unimpressive food selections. Even during the formal evenings the menu remained boring and just ick. The service at dinner was excruciating and took much longer than it should have-- they were very slow to bring out the courses but sure didn't hestitate to turn on the 'warning lights' when you had to leave so the next seating could come in. Also- don't expect to have the option to order multiple entrees at dinner. I've done this in prior cruises where I couldn't decide between two options and would just get both (because let's face it, over-indulging goes along with cruising!) but not with the Musica. You can forget about any special requests or anything out of the ordinary from the menu.

The spa... don't even get me started on the spa. Do me a favor and just get your massage/facial done at home before you leave for vacation. Apparently, it is normal for the massuese to wait in the room while you disrobe. the treatments are boring and the constant PA announcements ensure you won't fully relax. Additionally- with our package we also gained access to the thermal spa. We found a room next to the gym with 3 jacuzzis and we were excited to soak for a while... again, don't expect anything here. The water wasn't much warmer than room temp and even upon request, we were told the "hot tub" temp couldn't be any hotter.

Beware of the Santorini visit and getting back to the ship on time.... the cable car or stairs is the only way up or down and this experience was the absolute worst. I recommend getting off the ship early and then once you've had a glance around Fira, get back down to the ship or else you'll wait 90+ minutes in line! Probably not a direct fault of the ship, but all passengers should know of the cluster that is awaiting them. Mykonos is very similar and can be used as an alternative-- much easier to disembark/embark.

Overall- I was fairly miserable on the ship due to the other guests.

DO NOT go to the breakfast buffet after about 8:15 am unless you are ok with crazy, near hysterics chaos. People were horribly rude, there were zero open seats and I even saw passengers grabbing hot food from the buffet barehanded (seriously? there are tongs that you should use for that pancake!?!)

Only go on this trip if you get a killer deal-- like us, for free. I know the travel agency that booked for our group did not get good feedback.

And P.S. do not make phone calls from the ship. Contact your service provider and order an international phone.... we learned the hard way and ended up paying 6 E/minute.

Publication Date: 06/19/11