MSC Musica Cruise Review by cali-coco: Blech.... Not worth your time or money

cali-coco
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on MSC Musica Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Blech.... Not worth your time or money

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I am fairly confident that I, too, traveled with the same group as CarolinaGirl (just at a different time) as my mother won the trip through her business as well. Personally, if we had paid for the cruise, I would be fighting mad. The ship itself is in fair condition (it should be for only being 5 years old) but the staterooms are small and the furnishings are not at all comfortable-- rock hard beds, lifeless pillows, stained/torn towels and robes, tv rarely worked, etc, etc. I truly don't have much of anything good to say about the cruise- this is easily the worst of 7 cruises that I've taken.

The ports were fairly interesting and I would recommend going on excursions in most places. The last 3 days were actually our favorite with Mykonos, Corfu and Dubrovnik. The history of the ports is truly amazing and is something that we miss out on being in the US.

The other guests are truly what made this trip miserable. Being American, I have a certain amount of respect for More other's personal space.... not so true in other cultures. The guests are from all over, and as you've seen in other reviews, most all messages were repeated in 4-5 different languages (which gets pretty old after a while). For some reason the older generations are the most pushy and not afraid to jump in front of you in line, at the buffet or even in the restroom. The crew truly moves like a bunch of robots and have next to zero interest in actually serving you... after speaking with one of the employees he said they work 11 hours/day for 9 months straight. No vacation days will probably do that to a person.

The food wasn't even mediocre. The menu is really catered to the European style and our entire group from the US was not impressed and actually started to complain about the tasteless and unimpressive food selections. Even during the formal evenings the menu remained boring and just ick. The service at dinner was excruciating and took much longer than it should have-- they were very slow to bring out the courses but sure didn't hestitate to turn on the 'warning lights' when you had to leave so the next seating could come in. Also- don't expect to have the option to order multiple entrees at dinner. I've done this in prior cruises where I couldn't decide between two options and would just get both (because let's face it, over-indulging goes along with cruising!) but not with the Musica. You can forget about any special requests or anything out of the ordinary from the menu.

The spa... don't even get me started on the spa. Do me a favor and just get your massage/facial done at home before you leave for vacation. Apparently, it is normal for the massuese to wait in the room while you disrobe. the treatments are boring and the constant PA announcements ensure you won't fully relax. Additionally- with our package we also gained access to the thermal spa. We found a room next to the gym with 3 jacuzzis and we were excited to soak for a while... again, don't expect anything here. The water wasn't much warmer than room temp and even upon request, we were told the "hot tub" temp couldn't be any hotter.

Beware of the Santorini visit and getting back to the ship on time.... the cable car or stairs is the only way up or down and this experience was the absolute worst. I recommend getting off the ship early and then once you've had a glance around Fira, get back down to the ship or else you'll wait 90+ minutes in line! Probably not a direct fault of the ship, but all passengers should know of the cluster that is awaiting them. Mykonos is very similar and can be used as an alternative-- much easier to disembark/embark.

Overall- I was fairly miserable on the ship due to the other guests.

DO NOT go to the breakfast buffet after about 8:15 am unless you are ok with crazy, near hysterics chaos. People were horribly rude, there were zero open seats and I even saw passengers grabbing hot food from the buffet barehanded (seriously? there are tongs that you should use for that pancake!?!)

Only go on this trip if you get a killer deal-- like us, for free. I know the travel agency that booked for our group did not get good feedback.

And P.S. do not make phone calls from the ship. Contact your service provider and order an international phone.... we learned the hard way and ended up paying 6 E/minute. Less

Read more MSC Musica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Musica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Musica Balcony Forte Deck 11061

Decent storage with large closet and drawers; doors seperating balconies made constant banging noise when underway; bathroom fair, tiny shower, cheap toiletries so make sure to bring your own; a lot of hallway noise; tv rarely worked, if ever

The traffic was ridiculous so it took almost two hours to get from the ship to the Acropolis... it took 17 minutes to get back. This is just a big city- so don't expect too much. Our tour guides displayed a lot of disgust for their home city and really didn't paint it very favorably. The Acropolis is definitely something interesting to see, but now that I've seen it, I never need to do it again.

(2)
Skip the city tour provided by the cruise ship.... very boring and only get to visit a couple churches. Also they paired us with 6 german speaking passengers. Not a big deal, right? Yeah, our tour took twice as long as it should because the guide had to say absolutely every single thing TWICE!

Just walk around the city by yourself. Find a small cafe and enjoy your time.

Read 103 Bari Reviews

Very quaint, old city. Highly recommend wandering around the city. Find a cafe and enjoy some local cuisine. We found a small family operated cafe and had the best Greek salad out of all the stops.

Read 269 Corfu Reviews

We opted for the Traditions of Kanovale excursion and enjoyed it. We visited a farm and partook in some traditional dance/food of the local Coratians. Beautiful country side. Then ended up in the old town which is similar to other ports where there is shopping, gellato and multiple cathedrals/churches. Overall- a good stop and interesting to see.

Very interesting to visit Olympia and see all of the ruins. Take your time here and then walk back to the city. Enjoy lunch at a small cafe and make sure you order a Greek salad. Also- stop at the market on main street and stock up on soda/water to bring back to the ship. Also the market sells olive oil at a reasonable price and has a huge selection!

Easy off/on to the ship, the city is a fair walk from where the shuttle buses drip you off, but after landing about 7pm, it's still nice to get out and explore. There are MANY restaurants and shops to visit, just pick a nice restaurant and enjoy your dinner. Do not stop waterfront though, we found the prices to be about double as the others back a little further into the village. All of the shops are open until around midnight so you'll have plenty of time to get lost in the back hallways.

Read 376 Mykonos Reviews

This was both our favorite and most hated port due to the cable car experience to get back to the water. The city is situated way up on top of the mountain and to get there from the water, you take a cable car up or walk the 500+ steps (or you could take a donkey up the stairs too). Going up is no problem, but coming back down causes a LOT of problems. Get in line to the cable car by about 11am or just forget about it. There is no organization and about 5-600 people in line waiting for the 36 seats in the cable car. There were 3 cruise ships in port the day we were there so expect ridiculousness and rudeness and shoving.

The sites in the village and to Oia were amazing, but definitely ruined by the experience with the cable cars. Just plan ahead otherwise skip it altogether and just spend the night in Mykonos.