Volendam Cruise Review by Mitch086: Holland America- No AC, No Hot Water & Filthy Ship

Mitch086
Member Since 2011

Dining Not Rated

Compare Prices on Volendam Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Holland America- No AC, No Hot Water & Filthy Ship

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Other

I booked 4 staterooms on Holland America's 14 Day New Zealand & Australia cruise, departing January 30, 2011, on the Volendam. I booked 1 Deluxe Verandah Suite and 3 Veranda Suites for 9 people. The trip was a gift from me to my family and the cruise was quite expensive.

During the cruise for over half the time in all 4 cabins we experienced no hot water, one cabin only had hot water for 1 day. In 3 cabins we had no functional air conditioning for the entire trip and in the 4th cabin the air conditioning did not work 5 out of 14 days. It was summer in New Zealand and quite warm. We complained, but nothing was ever repaired. The cabins also were extremely dirty. The carpet was soiled to the point that you would not walk in bare feet and the upholstery was equally dirty.

I wrote Holland America regarding my experience and requested a refund of 30-40% stating that they advertise a "premium cruise experience for discerning cruisers" and that was not what we More received. We received 2 star accommodations.

Holland America's response was to give each passenger an individual $250 credit toward a future cruise on Holland America. This in no way said we are sorry for your inconvenience, anyone can get a $250 credit toward a future cruise just for asking.

I travel extensively and understand occasional mechanical failures and not everything is perfect all the time. I have never asked for a refund in my 35 years of travel, but this was blatantly selling a product and a condition of ship that did not exist. The ship Volendam should either have been taken out of service for upgrading or had a reduced price and a disclaimer that the ship was not a premium class vessel.

Holland America obviously does not care about the customer or the experience they deliver. Less

Read more Volendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Volendam Review >>

Cabin review: Volendam Verandah Suite Navigation 7035

Filthy dirty. No hot water. No air conditioning. Very small cabin for being 2nd best on ship. The carpet and upholstery were too dirty to walk on in bare feet or sit on. Even after daily maid service, cabin was dirty. Sheets were not changed. Disgusting.