Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by OOTS2011

Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Over Too Soon.....
I'm amazed at all the semi-negative comments about the food on the Oasis. We live in the Tri-State area, and have been lucky enough to eat in some of the highest-rated restaurants in the world. From our experience (we have cruised before and are also in the restaurant business) the food was fantastic! If there was a dish that someone in our party ordered that they just didn't care for (personal taste, no fault of the kitchen), they just reordered something else. The men at our table were ordering two to three dinners/apps anyway. The wait staff we had went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we wanted. Elmer, Dennis, and Jorge are the type of employees RCCL should work hard to keep.

We only ate at the Windjammer for breakfast and, likewise, the food and selection were great. Finding a table was never a problem because the staff was everywhere asking if you needed anything, directing you to available tables, delivering coffee and OJ to your table when your hands were full. Let me repeat -- the staff was EVERYWHERE, smiling, asking what they could do for you - from the pool attendants to the beverage servers. The Park Cafe on Deck 8 in Central Park was delicious for lunch. Roast Beef sandwiches very good with Au Jus and different accompaniments. Pastries were delicious. Iced Tea was not a mix (I read that someplace). We never went to Johnny Rockets or the Seafood Shack (that is a big "why would you" in my book). I can do that at the local mall.

We only ate at one specialty restaurant - Chops Grille. They let us choose more than one app, but if we wanted an additional meal they charged $10, I think. We sat outside and it was just beautiful. Staff was excellent. Food was delicious. Oysters fantastic.

Our cabin was comfortable. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. I wouldn't want to live in a room that size for more than a week, but it was more than adequate for that amount of time. There are two narrow cabinets on one side of the vanity/desk area to store suntan lotion, make-up, brushes, and sunglasses. On the other side there is a drawer with a hairdryer (with a narrow nozzle for you girls out there who like straight hair) and two larger sized drawers beneath. There is a tier of cubicles in the closet to store folded clothing as well as a place to hang longer items (two nice robes are provided). The closet is also equipped with plenty of hangers for shirts and clip-hangers for pants. It also has a safe. As mentioned in other reviews, the space under the bed is high enough to store luggage. There are also two hooks in the cabin, five hooks in the bathroom, and two hooks in the shower. With a little organization, it was very manageable. There is no iron (but who wants to do that anyway.) There is laundry service but we didn't use it.

The bathroom is a bit small. If you are more than 250-300 pounds, I would imagine the shower might be tight! The bathroom was actually mentioned by one of the comics in the Comedy Club - which was an extremely funny bit by the way. The cabin stewards work harder than anyone on the ship in my opinion. With all the stuff you pack into the room, they do their best to keep it clean. The only time we didn't see them was in the late afternoon. Again, they also were extremely friendly, always asking if you needed anything. If someone has a problem on this ship, you just need to ask someone for help, and if you don't get the help/answer you need, there are ten more people you can ask. Only once did I have to inquire about something and the language was bit of a barrier, so I just moved on and asked someone else until I got the answer I needed.

For anyone concerned about noise on Deck 14. We experienced none. The balcony doors are airtight. We had a cabin overlooking the ocean and a cabin overlooking the boardwalk. When it rained, our balcony didn't get wet, and we got plenty of light (which I was concerned about because of the overhang, which ended up being a non-issue). Deck 14 further down under the main pools might be a different story (I don't know), but I thought the Deck 14 Starboard-Aft location was great because we just walked up one flight of stairs to the pool (which is where we spent a lot of time). Windjammer (breakfast) was only two flights up. The elevators got a little crowded at different times of the day, so we made use of the stairs when we were only going up/down a few decks. The public balcony at the end of Deck 14 is a great little spot to sit in a lounge chair if you want a very quiet spot.

If you have older folks traveling with you, there is A LOT of walking. You might want to look into renting a scooter(?) of some sort. All doors are motion sensitive and everything is flat so that would be their best option. We saw a lot of older people with scooters and they were all smiling—

The shows were all of high-caliber and you see the performers practicing quite a bit. They really seem to take pride in putting on a spectacular performance. There was one show that you just go to (no pre sign-up) called Quest (in Studio B) which involves audience participation and it was one of the funnier things we have seen in quite a while. It will be listed at some point in the newsletter you get each night. The Cruise Director was great. I couldn't imagine anyone better in that job. He also was everywhere and the time and effort he put into his job was very apparent.

The hot tubs (especially the cantilevered, infinity hot-tubs) were great in the early morning coming in to port and late at night when it was cooler. Pool deck was great. We liked the solarium pool best, and the area above the cantilevered hot tubs for sunbathing. We were close to the Solarium but not under the glass. With the water sloshing over the sides of the infinity hot tub, it sounded like the ocean. It was less noisy and crowded, plus the restrooms were nearby as well as the Solarium bar. Which was key! The public restrooms all around the ship were immaculate.

We had a few storms the week we went and although you could feel the boat move slightly (more so if you were at or below Deck 5), it was nothing compared to other ships. Negligible in my opinion.

Spa was beautiful. We had facials and there was no hard-sell on the products. They mentioned it, but moved on when it was clear we weren't interested. We went down in person early in the week to book our services for later in the week.

We did our own thing on the islands we visited. Weather was not the greatest when we were docked, but nothing to be done about that. There was so much to do on board, we were glad to relax and watch a movie.

I'm so excited for anyone who is reading this, eagerly awaiting the next post before they leave on their vacation -- just like we did. It was truly a memorable experience for our family, and I hope it will be the same for you.

The only thing I can think of after reading the negative comments on this board is that someone at RCCL is reading it and correcting things as fast as they can. There was nothing to complain about. It was SO MUCH FUN!!

Publication Date: 06/19/11