Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by RichmondTee: 6 year old first cruise

6 year old first cruise

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We did a last minute cruise w/ very tight dates we could do it in and this trip fit perfectly. I would say if you have little ones and you are going and you want to make sure they have a good time, look at Carnival or any ship that has the water slides. My daughter loved this as well as the putt-putt. This is a fun ship and itenerary for young kids though... 4-12.

The food on the ship is very good and very kid friendly. Sodas arent free though so when you check in you will know why there people w/ cases of sodas.

The ship shows its age a bit, but not a distraction... just kind of a 70-80's feel to it. They keep it very clean and very neat though.

The pool is a bit small, but w/ 2 hot tubs and the waterpark as well, it seems to work. The salt water pool wasnt a favorite of mine, but not a big deal.

Very nice gym and plenty of equipment to use.

I give Carnival an A for our cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Oceanview Riviera R-181

Pretty quiet. This room is in the aft part of the ship and down low, so you do get some engine noise, but nothing unbearable. I am a light sleeper, and didn't cause me to lose any sleep. The mattresses aren't the most comfortable, but certainly wont cause you to toss and turn... I am sure they use the same mattresses throughout the ship though. Overall I thought the room and the bath was a good size compared to the other 2 cruise i have been on.

We did the Dolpin Encounter excursion here. The actual excursion was amazing and my daughter as well as my wife and I had a blast. The kicker is the transportation part of it. In all, we did the encounter for about 45 mins... the entire excursion lasted just over 4 hours. You take a bus to the dock and then a boat to the encounter. A little bit of waiting for each of these, but not a huge deal. The kicker is the trip back. The encounter was over, and we waited almost an hour for a boat to come back and pick us up. The encounter is remote and they try to entertain you by having some parrots and cockatoos you can handle... but doesnt take up an hour. When we finally get back, it is very unclear where to meet the bus and actually told the wrong place by the dolphin encounter folks. They said to go back to where we were dropped off, which makes sense... but not correct... there is a bus hub in downtown Freeport, and that is where we needed to be. Just a heads up on this excursion... the encounter is awesome... A+, but the transportation and coordination of getting you there is a F... just wanted to make people aware of it going in.

Read 773 Freeport Reviews

** Atlantis Advice at end**

Beautiful island w/ alot of history and very nice people. We didn't do a Carnival excursion here, and glad we didn't. As you come off the dock you will be greeted by several bus/taxi drivers who will offer to take you on a 2 hour history tour of the island... we did this... and was great. I paid (w/ tip) $75 for my wife, daughter, and me... and we were taken to every major part of the island, and even thru the lower class neighborhoods where the Haitian immigrants primarily lived. Very educational as Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas. The driver was an incredible wealth of knowledge and very good. You get to stop and shop at the Queen Charlotte's staircase... and get out at the Atlantis to do a 15 minute walk around. After that the drive took us to Cabbott Beach by the Atlantis where we spend the rest of the afternoon at a gorgeous beach... just $4 a per each to get back to the port. I would highly recommend doing this if you want to get a good view of the island, get some history, and then have some fun at the beach too.

On the Atlantis advise... on the ship, its $175 per person for the day at the Atlantis, doing the slides and everything else. The driver told us that the Comfort Suites, right beside the Atlantis, had an agreement where if you book a room at the Comfort Suites, you get one free Atlantis pass for a day for 4 people. The rooms at the Comfort Suites go for about $250 / night. So, book the room on the Internet in advance (this is a requirement)... pay $4 per person to get from the port to the Comfort Suites... check in and enjoy your day at Atlantis... then pay $4 per person to get back to the port. You just saved $400 for family of 4. Wish i had known!!!!

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews