Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by patthecma

Embarkation: Charleston
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 4D
Cabin Number: E100
See More About: Carnival Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Bermuda Cruise to nowhere
The Carnival Fantasy cruise to Bermuda itinerary is basically a cruise to nowhere, but in a good way. You can have a wonderful getaway for a week, enjoy the scenery in Bermuda, without a lot of shopping. All the itineraries are Saturday 4pm to Sunday 4pm. This allows you about 1 hour to hit the specialty shops that are closed on Sunday. In other words, no time at all. This is not a problem for most of us that did our research prior to the trip, but many fellow travelers expected Carnival to do the research for them, and tell them ahead of time that the stores close on Sunday. I now realize why Americans have such a bad reputation overseas. The complaints were loud and obnoxious. I would suggest that Carnival place an "A-frame" just off the gangplank - or even an information sheet in your room - giving directions to the bus terminal, trolley stop, and taxi area to make it less confusing.

Bermuda is a beautiful island, and after walking around the Royal Dockyard on Saturday, we bought bus passes ($12 each) and took the ferry to Hamilton, and the bus to Gibbes Hill Lighthouse. Horseshoe Bay beach is still very beautiful, but the sand is not as pink - hurricane damage? The lighthouse is not the same, a bit run down, and the Tea Room is gone. Still, the island is beautiful, with a lot of historical sites. Sunday ferries and buses are on a shortened schedule - something to be aware of when you visit.

The Fantasy is one of the older ships in the fleet, but is very nicely laid out, and to me, a not so gaudy version of the rest of the fleet. We enjoyed the trip immensely. Much to do, which is typical of Carnival, excellent variety of food and drinks. The Bistro is top notch. We did the "your time dining", and prefer to have assigned seats, but this was not too bad - missed the show in the dining room, as you cannot see it from the side seating.

We attended the Chefs Table, which was nice, but for the money, I would take the Steakhouse next time. The sea bass was excellent, but the Filet was the same that you get in the main dining room. I expected to have a steak similar to the filet I ordered at the Steakhouse on the Legend - which was wonderful. The chef went out of his way to make sure that I received a special sugar free dessert, and also a shellfish free meal. It was delicious, and the experience was great, but once you have done it, I don't feel the need to repeat the experience.

I have the same comment as always about the crew - officers do not smile or even speak to the passengers. The "peons" are friendly, courteous, and go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. Our cabin stewards were great to us.

I last traveled on the Fantasy in 1996, and remember paying $10 each time my sons lost a basketball overboard. Glad that court is gone! They made a few changes, but we enjoyed walking around and remembering the different decks and themes.

All in all, it was a great trip, and we plan to make this a regular getaway for us.

Publication Date: 06/19/11