Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by newBell11: Wonderful Vacation for our family

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful Vacation for our family

Sail Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We broke our long drive to Galveston into 2 days so we left Friday afternoon and headed to Austin where we would be picking up my daughter's friend who was joining us on the cruise. It was nice not to have to drive all the way through in one day. We got to Texas City on Saturday early in the evening and stayed at the Comfort Inn there. We were pleasantly surprised by how nice this property was and it was a 10 minute drive to the pier. I highly recommend staying in Texas City to save some money on the hotel bill if you come in a day early.

I woke up Sunday morning and checked the Galveston.com website and saw that the ship was arriving an hour early. WooHoo! We got ready and went downstairs for breakfast and had everyone ready to go by about 10:30AM. Everyone was dropped off at the pier by 10:45 and the guys parked the cars at Lighthouse Parking. We booked it online and got a covered space for 50.00 for the week and shuttle service to the pier. We all met up and got through More the terminal and on the ship by 11:30! Not bad at all...

Of course we went straight up to the Lido deck for some grub. My hubby and I found the Mongolian Wok and were very pleased with it. Yumola with a kick! Everyone found something they liked and we all loved the ice cream after! After we ate, we wandered around a bit and got our soda cards... not so sure we all needed one. I think we could have gotten by with one per cabin easily. We all went and check out our rooms and everyone was happy. We had an ocean view in the mid-ship section. I highly recommend those rooms. Lots of room and we love the big window. We all had Your Time Dining so we met at 6:00 in the Renoir on the 3rd floor. Food was all good... steak a little over cooked. Friendly waitstaff but pretty slow. If we go again, we probably will not go to the main dining quite as much. Most nights the Lido had some of the same options as the dining room.

Days 2 and 3 - At Sea. Spent some time in the casino, laying out on the deck watching some of the contests and seeing some of the shows and such. Funny thing... we went to the marriage show and actually got picked to participate. It is all my new hubby's fault. He kept looking away from Paul (CD). Paul picked him because he looked so nervous! LOL It was lots of fun and the couple that had been married 60 years was hilarious! They knew each other very well... except for her bra size. Men just don't get bra sizes! We all got champagne for participating. We ate at the Steakhouse that night and it was really awesome. We had lost all of the teenagers to hanging out with other teenagers by then so 7 of us went. We got there at 7:00 and didn't leave until after 9:30. LOOONNNGGG time if you ask me. We are glad we went but probably wouldn't go again. We went and saw the comedy shows and they were fantastic. We loved Cowboy Bill and Munzie on the 2nd half of the voyage.

Port days- more to follow.

The final sailing day went by way too fast. We had so much fun. We played shuffleboard, went to see some games, went to a raffle and watch sale. Played some craps, went to to a end of cruise party. Wow that was fun. It was in the Degas and they had a band playing and served all the free drinks you wanted. So we were a bit tipsy when we went to dinner. The men (boys) were very entertaining. hahaha One thing that did get on my last nerve was that there were people running up and down the halls and being very loud ALL NIGHT! Hey, if you want to stay up all night on the last night, go for it but please go up on deck or somewhere where others are not trying to sleep. I didn't get much sleep at all and we had the 9 hour drive back home to do the next day.

Getting off the ship was no problem at all. We chose to do the self assist with our luggage. I wouldn't do it any other way. We needed to get off the boat as quickly as possible since we needed to get on the road. We were in our car and on the road by 8:30 in the morning.

We had a great experience and would do another cruise with carnival for sure. I am very interested in going on the Magic and taking the Bahamas or the Belize cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Oceanview Main 2375

Great room. We loved our window. Two people could sit in it and look outside. Very little noise except for the last night. We slept like babies (except for the last night).

Let me preface this by saying that this was my 5th time to be on the island of Cozumel. I have been diving there 3 times and this was my second cruise that stopped there. It has been a while since my last visit and the island has changed so much. I am not a big fan of the huge shopping malls they have put in. We didn't even make it to the old part of town that we all used to enjoy so much. We started the day just knowing we wanted to go to a beach. We wound up at Palancar Beach. We were told there was good snorkeling there but I didn't find that the case. Just rocks and sand. We did decide to go Parasailing. Now that was fun. Had we booked it on the ship, it would have cost us 89.00. We paid 50.00 a piece! They gave us a little discount because there were 8 of us who wanted to go. That took a lot of our day so we had to rush to get back to town to shop and grab a bite to eat. It was a lot of fun but didn't hold a candle to our day in Cayman.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

We absolutely LOVED our day in Cayman. We booked our own excursion through Captain Marvin's. I highly highly recommend them! We got picked up by a very nice bus and driven to the dock and to a boat ride out to Stingray City. What a fun time! We got to hold, feed and kiss the rays. They are truly magnificent creatures. Once we were back on the boat, we took a nice ride out to a shallow reef for some snorkeling. Everyone loved it. I wish I could have gone scuba diving instead but the snorkeling was great too. We saw a huge Moray eel! After snorkeling, we went back to the dock and took a bus ride to Hell. Everyone should go once just to say they have been there. We bought some t-shirts and got back on the bus. Our driver took us to the Tortuga Rum factory next. He served us all the "samples" of different flavors of rum that we wanted. We bought some and had it sent back to the boat. It was only 10.00 a bottle! We stumbled back on the boat and headed to the turtle farm. That was so much more fun than we had expected. Our driver guided us through the farm and we got to hold all different sizes of turtles. They are so cute! After we made it all the way through, we stopped at the souvenir shop for a bit and picked up some stuff. Everyone was very nice in Cayman and no hard selling was going on. It made it so much more enjoyable. We are thinking of going on a land vacation there sometime.

We went horseback riding in Jamaica and booked through Carnival. It took forever to leave the terminal but once we did, it was fun. The bus driver was very amusing and informative. He dropped us off at the horse farm and we had some time to get a locker for our things before we received our helmet and got on our horses. The ride was enjoyable and very scenic. Our guide was very talkative and friendly. Each guide only had a few people so we got to chat with ours all the way. Once we got back, we had a minute to change into our swim suits and got to ride a short distance in the ocean. I kinda felt bad for our horses. They didn't seem to like going in the water much at all. We went back and gathered up our things and got back on the bus. Once we got back to the terminal, we decided to check out Margaritaville. Not impressed at all. Apparently there were very young girls(like 14) upstairs and really drunk. I just wonder where there parents were. My kids stayed with me all times we were at port. I didn't even want my 18 year old to go off without me in a foreign country. It might have been better if it weren't raining. We didn't stay long and went shopping a little ways down the road. If I did it again, I would have just done the excursion then went to the cruise terminal to shop then back to the ship.