Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Collingwood2011: First time and a wonderful time

Collingwood2011
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Sapphire Princess Alaska Cruises

First time and a wonderful time

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

It was our first cruise the my wife and I have been on. We were worried about a number of things, but really we had nothing to worry at all. Let me say first off that the service was 1st class all the way, the staff were fantastic, I just can't say enough about the staff.

My wife is disabled and she hired a scooter for the boat and Port stops which never missed a beat, we were very happy with our room and the shower and toilet were very good for a disabled person. Having a balcony was well worth it as there was nothing better than seeing the sun rise and seeing the water while lying in bed. We were blessed with fine weather for the whole cruise which we hear cruising Alaska you can often get wet weather, but I tried to imagine it in the rain and I'm sure it still would of been nice.

Some of our concerns were the coffee as we heard the coffee wasn't that great, we actually bought a coffee machine from wal-mart and took it aboard with our own ground coffee as my wife More needs about 4 coffee's to get her started for the day. Having the coffee machine was handy for us as we didn't have to leave to room for it. She did order some coffee on occasions via room service at no cost, the coffee was drinkable, but not great, getting a coffee card was the way to go and you can order nice coffee's like Latte's which were pretty good. The coffee around the buffet was hit and miss. We've decided America doesn't know about quality coffee. American Starbucks is average to Starbucks in Australia. Quality coffee should be creamy and smooth with a rich flavour, American coffee was bland and often weak and not creamy, there was no crema. I failed to see any decent coffee in any shops or stores, what was there was crap to say the least, no wonder American's aren't big coffee drinkers, if you don't have quality to start with, it's hard to convert people. The ground coffee I found there wasn't fine enough and as a result you'd never get a decent crema. The rest of the coffee was like instant rubbish. We were able to get milk delivered to our room via room service, we ordered 4 half pints at a time. We found it was cheaper to buy drinks and bring them aboard from each Port. $7 a day for a soda card was probably a bit much for me as I would only have 1 or 2, but for those who drink more sodas it was well worth it.

When we arrived on the boat, I went up and ordered a cheese burger and chicken sandwich for my wife from the Trident Grill, they came with fries and were quite nice, we tried a few things there and were happy with everything there. I had pizza from Prego Pizzeria which I believe is like the New York type Pizzas, very large and offer by the slice. It was nice to eat, different from Australian Pizzas which have more toppings and are smaller, but still nice to eat. The Lido Buffet was ok, we ate there on our first night, there was a reasonable selection of things, but buffets aren't my ideal ways to eat. We had breakfast there a couple of times which was ok. The Sundaes Ice Cream Bar was nice for an Ice Cream on a few occasions which I had vanilla, choc/vanilla and chocolate. The Sterling Grill was great, I had the largest steak which was very nice and for $20 was well worth it. We had main meals in the different dining rooms which was always very nice. I was disappointed once when we were offered sparkling water or bottle water, I chose bottle and had to pay, after a few sips out of my glass a waiter came around and topped my drink with tap water and ice. If I was aware I could of had tap water and ice I would of ordered that, which I did on further occasions. One of the good things was you could by a bottle of drink as a cheaper option to a glass and the next meal at another dining room they would get your bottle of drink on request which was nice. I enjoyed all meals and breads served as starters.

One of the regrets was not doing more activities, there were plenty to choose from, but I was enjoying my time doing other things. I went to the gym a couple of times which was good, being to look at a tv screen or out the window was nice, the equipment was in good order. The pools were great, but I never had a swim, the water felt nice. The Internet Cafe was a good size, the prices were a bit expensive, but you have to understand it's using satellite and it's going to be a little slow, but it wasn't as slow as I expected. I got the $55 for 100 mins deal, If I were to do it again I would choose $75 for 150 mins, the last day they had a deal I think it was 30 mins for $12. Just to be able to stay in touch and send emails was very convenient via the Internet, we took our laptop and typed up emails before sending them and connecting to the net. I was able to upload photos of the day so as friends and family woke up, they had an email waiting. The Laundry was great $1 for soap, $1 for washer and $1 for dryer was good value all took 4 quarters and worked really well. I was really impressed with the quality of the ship, I'd heard it was going to be refurbished and was thinking some parts maybe run down, it was in perfect condition and it was hard to find a flaw anywhere on the ship. I wish we got to mingle with more people and find out about them, we seemed to get seats for the two of us most times and didn't get to meet many others. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess A301

Our cabin was perfect for us, we loved having the balcony and it was positioned close to the lifts which was handy. Just found the laundry was a fair walk away, but can't help that. We never heard anyone in the other rooms, so it was very quiet. 2 power points wasn't enough for us, I actually bought a power board in Ketchikan that could fit 6 points. Plenty of coat hangers and space for clothes.

We were pretty tired and decided to have a Nana nap after lunch, we woke up just before 6pm, so we had to fly off and see Juneau which was just lovely. We did the Tramway ride up to the top which we were able to get some great photos from up there. We did a show that explained the past and the language which was interesting. We then went back down to the main street and walked and looked in the shops. Again very interesting and we enjoyed going in a liquor store and just hearing the locals talk about some of the things they were doing was fun. Alaskan Brewery was an interesting stop as were many of the other shops.

We were very impressed with the bus that took us into the town, they had a lift for my wife in her scooter, so that made life very easy. One thing the American's are doing a lot better than Australia is looking after disabled access, be it buses, trains, monorail, or general doors, they had good access to all, the other thing was everything was clean too. Toilets were always clean and easy to access.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

We really enjoyed Ketchikan, I was awake early as we came in and took lots of photos, the town was quaint and it was easy to get around and nice to look in the shops. We got ripped off at Del-sol it's a shop found at all the stop offs, they have colour changing t-shirts and nail polish...etc we paid $30 for 3 nail polishes and got a 4th free, we later found Walgreens were selling 3 for $10.

We really found it hard to get good quality food that wasn't junk food, obviously there is a difference in the way Australian's make sandwiches to American's, so that was a struggle at times trying to explain what we wanted. Just getting fresh salad or vegetables was hard to find. It was all meats, cheeses, mayo, ketchup, mustard...etc I think getting a basic salad sandwich is over the top for them and getting plain butter or margarine spread on bread doesn't happen, they have some whipped light fluffy spread that doesn't have much flavour. I find it strange that they don't seem to have bread rolls either, it was either bagels or croissants which just adds to their ridiculous calorie intake.

There were plenty of different shops to see and some good buys to be had. I kind of wish we went back after the other stop off's again, but it was still good to look around. I enjoyed going back to the ship on the top deck and seeing the sea planes come in and go.

Skagway was lovely, we really enjoyed it and loved the old town feeling of the shops. Again we just walked the streets and visited many shops. We stopped off and had a coffee and something to eat which again we felt the choice of food was fairly poor. I think I had a glazed donut which was messy and sickly. We were able to find an IGA shopping center which was an eye opener, it was out the back of the main streets, I guess more for the locals than the tourists. Just seeing some of the prices of things and seeing the difference to Australian prices was interesting to us. We found a shopping area where there was Sarah Palin posters all over a shop, I thought it was funny when a couple when to walk in and then turned up their noses when they saw all the posters, obviously Democrats lol

There was a nice view of another ship and many helicopters doing rides, I was able to get a great sunset picture from there when we left.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

We really loved Victoria BC, the only thing we wish is that we arrived earlier. The ship arrived at 7pm and we had to be back by 11pm. There was a big line up of people trying to get buses, we decided to walk into town and I think it was the best way to go. We really enjoyed seeing the local houses and parks walking the streets. Victoria is a beautiful city and we saw the sunset and lights come on at night. We went to a Japanese restaurant which was lovely, because the US dollar is down, and we only had US dollars, they converted it from Canadian to US so it was like having to pay a bit more each time we spent money, I guess a tip for others, maybe get some Canadian money if theirs is stronger than the US dollar.

We really would like to have arrived at 5pm to stay longer, but as much as the stay was short, we really loved the city and enjoyed walking the streets seeing the horse and carriages and people out and about.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews