Westerdam 3

“Westerdam cruise to Alaska - not a fan”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

softball2025
Member Since 2011

Overall Member Rating

This was our very 1st cruise on Holland America and to Alaska. While we enjoyed the cruise overall (and got to spend time with my grandparents), there were many things that we did NOT enjoy.

The first was the service on board. The staff was NOT friendly OR fun. There just wasn't the "love" that I've felt from other cruise lines. I will say, this was our first Alaskan cruise, so I don't know if it was the destination, the demographic, or what. I am in my late 20's, and my husband is in his mid-30's, and this was our 3rd and we were both completely underwhelmed.

The shows were also lack-luster. They had a comedian 2 of the nights (he was ok), and wish that there had been an actual entertainer (comedian, magician, etc.) each night, instead of the singers/dancers.

The food was relatively good, but I've had better on other cruise lines. If the staff had been more friendly, maybe I wouldn't have noticed the food.

One of the things we DID enjoy was the More actual Westerdam itself - very beautiful ship, and very well-maintained. One place the staff WAS friendly was in the spa. My husband and I did a couples massage, and it was heavenly.

We also enjoyed Juneau (the whale-watching was AMAZING) - Sitka was beautiful, but I could have skipped Ketchikan and Victoria all-together.

My recommendation is if you are NOT a first-time cruiser, and are under the age of 40, I would hesitate taking this cruise if you are looking for a lot of fun, activities, and an energetic staff.

I think next time, we will be cruising in the caribbean or Hawaii again. No more Alaska or Holland for us! Less

Westerdam Cruises to Alaska

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

VF
Our room was pretty standard. We had a balcony room - the one thing I did like is that there was an actual tub, and the furniture on the balcony was very high quality.

Published 06/17/11

Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review

Westerdam Cruises to Alaska

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?