Pride of America Cruise Review by cwf1650: Pride of America was great

Pride of America was great

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

We just returned from the May 28 sailing and were very pleased. My wife and I were last in Hawaii in 1973 and decided to return for our 40th anniversary. We were not looking for a party ship, but simply a way to visit the islands with enough on board entertainment to give us something to do when we weren't ashore. Neither my wife or I or very mobile and NCL's website allowed us to pick shore excursions based on level of activity. We booked all of ours ahead of time and avoided the rush at the on board shore excursion counter.

My biggest concern was eating because I have Celiac disease I have to follow a strict gluten free diet. Within days of booking the cruise NCL sent me a survey asking what specific foods I wanted. When we boarded there were letters from the chef & staff with their on board numbers if I needed anything. Along with the letters they gave me an advance luau menu with gluten free options notated. I didn't have any food issues at all. Each restaurant either More had a gluten free menu or the chef reviewed what I wanted. The food was excellent & the staff polite and attentive.

If you're looking for a "good time party ship", look elsewhere. If you're looking for the easiest way to see a lot of Hawaii in a week, I have no problems recommending this cruise. I read some negative reviews about cleanliness and staff indifference, but I did not experience any of that. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America

We were in an Ocean View cabin. VERY tiny & barely enough room to move around. But, hey, we didn't go to Hawaii to sit in the cabin. It was clean & well maintained. Great location amid ship. Made it easy to get to either end of the ship

(3)
The main attraction here is Volcano National Park. It's a good tour, but if your purpose is to see lava flowing, don't bother. You do get to walk through a lava tube, which is kind of neat.

Read 269 Hilo Reviews

I only give this a three because to really see the island you either have to come a couple of days early or take a flight home after 8 PM. We stayed over a few days & were able to take the circle island tour & thoroughly enjoyed it.

Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

Breath taking scenery. Wife & both agreed this was our favorite island.

Read 236 Kauai Reviews

(4)
Best port for getting off & walking around. The glass bottom boat isn't worth it cause you have a very limited viewing area. The submarine offers a wider view.

Read 164 Kona Reviews

(4)
The Road to Hanna tour is worth taking. It's very long but you get to see the variety of Maui's scenery. If you issues with motion I'd avoid this. The roads are very twisty curvy & there's a good stretch that's either not paved or not kept up.

Read 262 Maui Reviews